project insanity

Information about builds and rebuilds, post away!
Migge

Re: project insanity

Post by Migge »

That's why I prefer a weldet tube tunnel. It's not totally safe but better as the GRP alone.
Special customized BRA289
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

It really doesn't bear thinking about. As rare as these events are, it only needs to happen once to really spoil your day and in a Cobra, the flywheel is probably in line with your shins and a wayward flywheel or clutch would make a real mess. :shock: :cry:

I think that's very wishful thinking on your part Migge. A few small tube aren't going to present any kind of barrier for an exploding flywheel and will in all likelihood, only add to the flying shrapnel.

Paul
Migge

Post by Migge »

Don't destroy my "btter than nothing" feeling :(
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

Migge wrote:Don't destroy my "btter than nothing" feeling :(
Rather that than your legs Migge. :cry:

However, you're probably safe, because the engine actually needs to be running for it to present a danger. :wink: :lol:

Paul
catsx11

Post by catsx11 »

Last edited by catsx11 on Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Let's keep a sense of proportion chaps - Ford production cars of the period, millions of them, used aluminium cast bellhousings. Under normal usage, including some pretty powerful cars, this is perfectly adequate. If you are going to drag race, with 1-2,000 horsepower unleashed in a fraction of a second, a bit of extra strengthening might be a good idea. OK, Mustangs had a thin sheet metal tunnel which might help a little bit, but I have never come across a Mustang, or any other sixties Ford, have a bellhousing shatter under normal and reasonable spirited fast-road use. If you're building a track car that might be a different matter - but original 289s and 427s had cast aluminium.
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

There are plenty of pictures on the net of relatively mundane cars that have had a flywheel let go Roger. Granted, they were being abused, but it does happen.
The thing to bear in mind with the '60's Fords is that the flywheel was well forward of your feet so even if the flywheel did let go, you'd still be okay.
As I said, it only needs to happen once to ruin your day.

Paul
Migge

Post by Migge »

Paul,

The engine needs to run?
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

Migge wrote:Paul,

The engine needs to run?
Yes, sorry Migge, we didn't make that absolutely clear. The engine needs to be running to present any risk whatsoever. On that basis, you're going to be completely safe, probably indefinitely. :wink: :lol:
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Be nice to Migge. He's never heard an engine running in a Cobra. Migge, what you'll find is a very loud noise coming from somewhere under the bonnet, with more coming out of the back (or sides) of the car. This is called a 'running engine'. Don't worry, it's supposed to do that - but it might be a way in the future yet.

Hang on, who am I to talk? Fourth year, and counting...