project insanity

Information about builds and rebuilds, post away!
agnoraan

Re: project insanity

Post by agnoraan »

PaulB wrote:
clive wrote:If my doggie's danglies were like that I'd be off to the vet!!! :shock:
I said they "look the doggies danglies" not look like the doggies danglies. :lol:

To avoid any further confusion, what I was trying to say was that they're the dog's bollocks. :wink:
:lol: :lol:
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

Marsh wrote:Nige,

Your wheels look FANTASTIC - I've never suffered from 'rim envy' before (careful now), but those really are spot on!

This is going to be a spectacular car that will be worth all the blood, sweat and tears - have no doubt about that.

Can't wait to see the finished article...

Lee
Thanks Lee, I can't wait to see it finished either :lol: I'm just finishing off a few things & then I can get stuck into it. I'll be having 3 full days a week on it, plus a few hours snatched here & there, so hopefully this thread will start moving along quite quickly once I get into the build.
cheers..Nige
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

Well, it's Xmas again for me :D My McLeod scattershield has arrived & the McLeod clutch assembly is due tomorrow. The toploader arrived yesterday, so apart from a flywheel & shifter the trans assembly is pretty much all there. Strangely, it worked out cheaper to buy the scattershield than to buy a Ford bellhousing. The scattershiled whilst being second hand, has never been fitted to an engine. I've just got to hope it never needs to be used for the purpose it was made for :lol:

cheers...Nige
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

I'm sure you know this, Nige, but just to remind you that a scattershield needs dialling in...
catsx11

Post by catsx11 »

Last edited by catsx11 on Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

Roger King wrote:I'm sure you know this, Nige, but just to remind you that a scattershield needs dialling in...
Hi Rog, thanks for that but yes I did know, it's got some info with it showing how to get it dialed in correctly :)

cheers..Nige
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

catsx11 wrote:
agnoraan wrote:...it worked out cheaper to buy the scattershield than to buy a Ford bellhousing...
Hello Nige,
what is the difference between the two?
Hi Alan, do you mean prices? I've seen new aluminium ones going for around the £250-260 mark. I paid £165 for this one, second hand but new. A new scattershield will cost you £367 from real Steel.

If it's the difference between an aluminium bellhousing & a scattershield you want to know about, the scattershield is designed to contain the flywheel & clutch assembly in the case of a clutch/fly explosion so that they don't chop of your legs if they were to let loose :wink:

cheers..Nige
catsx11

Post by catsx11 »

Last edited by catsx11 on Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

Hi Alan, no an aluminium bellhousing is unlikely to protect you if there's a clutch or flywheel explosion, unless, if you're very lucky, the parts exit the side away from your legs. I've seen a few clutch explosions over the years, mainly at drag racing events & when a flywheel comes off it's like a "buzz saw" & cuts through anything in its way. At one event I saw a flywheel exit the bonnet on a Mustang, it tore through the chassis, part of the inner wing & came out through the bonnet itself. For ordinary road use it shouldn't really be an issue if it's all bolted up properly :wink:

Don Garlits had a severe clutch explosion in his front engined dragster & it tore the car in half. from that point on, he pioneered the rear engined dragsters we see today

Don Garlits clutch explosion

https://www.google.com/search?site=imgh ... +explosion

Check out some other clutch explosions here

https://www.google.com/search?site=imgh ... EYWoUmQJVA

cheers..Nige
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »