project insanity

Information about builds and rebuilds, post away!
Roger King

Re: project insanity

Post by Roger King »

agnoraan wrote:
Roger King wrote:Surely the next project should be one of those small Triumph sportscars?
What a Herald?? :wink: :lol: I really don't like Spitfires, horrible things to work on

cheers....Nige
Not sure anyone would describe the Herald as a 'sports' car... know what you mean about Spitfires. Huge floppy bonnet that never really fits, probably the worst rear suspension ever designed, and the list goes on.
I remember when Custom Car magazine used to refer to them as s*itfires, back in the early seventies... ah, happy days
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

Roger King wrote:
agnoraan wrote:
Roger King wrote:Surely the next project should be one of those small Triumph sportscars?
What a Herald?? :wink: :lol: I really don't like Spitfires, horrible things to work on

cheers....Nige
Not sure anyone would describe the Herald as a 'sports' car... know what you mean about Spitfires. Huge floppy bonnet that never really fits, probably the worst rear suspension ever designed, and the list goes on.
I remember when Custom Car magazine used to refer to them as s*itfires, back in the early seventies... ah, happy days
They also called them "hairdresser cars" :lol:

cheers..Nige
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

...It`s just the idea of a Spitfire & a Messerschmitt in the same garage that amuses me, one Focker of a project! :lol:
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

nikbj68 wrote:...It`s just the idea of a Spitfire & a Messerschmitt in the same garage that amuses me, one Focker of a project! :lol:
At one point I had four Messerscmitts here,........... I had my own little squadron :lol: :lol:

cheers...Nige
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

agnoraan wrote:
nikbj68 wrote:...It`s just the idea of a Spitfire & a Messerschmitt in the same garage that amuses me, one Focker of a project! :lol:
At one point I had four Messerscmitts here,........... I had my own little squadron :lol: :lol:

cheers...Nige
Staffel, surely? You little red baron, you... and I mean little, those things are minuscule. But valuable.
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

Roger King wrote:
agnoraan wrote:

cheers...Nige
Staffel, surely? You little red baron, you... and I mean little, those things are minuscule. But valuable.
A "tiger" 4 wheel 'Schmitt is worth around £250K for a mint concours one. These that I'm doing are worth £35K ish...a lot of money for a very small car

Cheers...Nige
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

Well, the weather was good today so I thought I'd make a start on the grille. Using the template that Alan sent me I was able to determine the shape of the 289 grille apperture. I formed a piece of mild steel to shape & fitted it using grips. Some holes were also drilled so that the piece could be screwed into place later

After double checking with the template, and being happy with that, I then made the swage that runs under the top flange & tack welded it to the top piece

The new panel was then removed & the lower valance of the car was cut off

cheers..Nige
Last edited by agnoraan on Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

The new panel was then ground smooth & given a coat of etch primer for protection & screwed into place

A cardboard template was the made to replicate the new lower valance

This was then transferred to a sheet of steel & was the loosely fitted to the body with panel clamps. I also put a curvature in the steelwork to replicate the original, so the next thing on the agenda will be to weld it to the lower grille & then cut out the opening for the air duct. Once that's done, I'll be fitting it to the car & laying up the fibreglass. I find it easier to work in steel for stuff like this & then use it as the mould for the 'glass panels. I'll lay up the gelcoat inside the panels I've made & then give it two layers of 450 gramme fibreglass matt & resin. Once cured I can unscrew these new panels & hopefully it should leave a nice fibreglass panel bonded to the original car, fingers crossed & all that stuff.

The whole thing only took just over two hours work so I'm very pleased with that. :D

Cheers...Nige

ps why can't I post more than 3 photos in each reply??, it just comes up as an error all the time.
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Nige, use photobucket or similar. It's free and you can embed as many photos as you like. I've given up trying to post pics direct to the website due to error messages and full quota stuff etc.

Roger
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

Roger King wrote:Nige, use photobucket or similar. It's free and you can embed as many photos as you like. I've given up trying to post pics direct to the website due to error messages and full quota stuff etc.

Roger

Hi Roger, I do use photobucket on here, but it only lets me post three at a time for some obscure reason :(

cheers..Nige