Ali transmission tunnel

Information about builds and rebuilds, post away!
CobStang

Re: Ali transmission tunnel

Post by CobStang »

Not at all.
I use one every day for cutting curved shapes out of 1.6 and 2mm ali sheet, so quick and easy. Guillotine for straight cuts.
Early B.R.A. Warmed 3.9 Rover, 5 sp, 3.07 rear, Fully adjustable front suspension with AVO coilovers, 4 link rear suspension AVO coilovers and Panhard bar, Big 2 pot front calipers, rear discs, servo'd, adjustable front / rear bias, scruffy paint job !
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

chaps, chaps - this is a one-off ali tunnel (original - 1.6mm in new money) which will need a bit of bashing and fettling to fit around the shift mechanism (spot the lumpy dings in original ones), which will be covered in carpet. You really don't need to go to these lengths... If you really can't face using a 25-yr-old black and decker jigsaw (my instrument of choice), get your local metal shop to stick it in their guillotine for the long straight cuts. Methinks we're making this a lot harder than it really is!
CobStang

Post by CobStang »

Merely trying to point out the options available, a quick look back at this reveals the carpet seems to be more complicated than the tunnel !
Hey ho.
Early B.R.A. Warmed 3.9 Rover, 5 sp, 3.07 rear, Fully adjustable front suspension with AVO coilovers, 4 link rear suspension AVO coilovers and Panhard bar, Big 2 pot front calipers, rear discs, servo'd, adjustable front / rear bias, scruffy paint job !
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

CobStang wrote:... a quick look back at this reveals the carpet seems to be more complicated than the tunnel !
Hey ho.
That's pretty much right... probably best not to try the plasma cutter on the carpet, though.
Dave Woodward
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Dave Woodward »

Beginning to regret asking.

All I wanted was a template :shock:
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

Sorry Dave - I hijacked your thread!
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Sorry Dave - I think the answer is, there isn't one - each car is too different to have set measurements. Hawks have fibreglass tunnels, Kirkhams have ali - which are a different shape/size from the 'glass ones so wouldn't fit the car.
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

Dave - I've got a Hawk fibreglass tunnel that isn't in the car at the moment. So would be happy to make templates for you if I'm doing it myself. But do I remember right that you've got a BRA?
Migge

Post by Migge »

If you make a new tunnel, let Roger make the template from his Kirkham because it's asymetric like the original one. The Hawk one is wrong like any other replica tunnel
Special customized BRA289
Dave Woodward
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Dave Woodward »

Andy, it's not a BRA it's a Hawk.

Think I'll just make my own.

Thanks all for your many and varied inputs :lol: