Ali transmission tunnel

Information about builds and rebuilds, post away!
Roger King

Re: Ali transmission tunnel

Post by Roger King »

Terotex is a rubberised stonechip treatment, Andrew. I use that in the wheelarches of both fiberglass and aluminium cars to lessen the impact, then Dinitrol over the top of that, which helps to keep the Terotex pliable.
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

Ah great - I understand now... I've got the body on its side in the garage on some old tyres, so now might be a good time to get this kind of work done, although as you say it would need re-applying wherever I go through the fibreglass.
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

If you're going to apply Terotex I'd advise getting a decent gun and following the instructions carefully, it's not as easy as it looks to apply to get the right consistency. Pay attention to the gun pressure too. My personal choice is to do it after the car is finished as you don't want to be attaching pipework etc. to rubberised surfaces! ...and a bit of extra protection won't hurt the pipes, either. Once the car's done, I remove the wheels and mask up suspension, wiring etc. then spray the lot, this covers rivets, boltheads etc and helps protect. The light grey Terotex 2000 is nice as it looks better with aluminium than black or white would.
Then Dinitrol the lot!

Be careful what you put on the body before it's painted, although topcoat should ideally go over the Terotex as well for a pro job.
CobStang

Post by CobStang »

For cutting 2mm Aluminium sheet tin snips are not going to be suitable, the effort required is huge and as Roger has said the distortion will not be acceptable.
The ideal is to use a plasma cutter, if you are doing a full build then the cost of a cheap one is peanuts and will save so much time and effort ( COMPRESSOR REQUIRED ) eg http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Portable-DC-i ... SwQItTzzSK
Be sure to pick one that you can get the consumables for. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/85pcs-LG-40-P ... Sw-vlVpNI6
For a one off tunnel I would prefer a hand grinder with either a 0.8mm or 1.0mm cutting disc, dress with a 60 grit flap disc or new fine file and finish with a de burring tool.
Early B.R.A. Warmed 3.9 Rover, 5 sp, 3.07 rear, Fully adjustable front suspension with AVO coilovers, 4 link rear suspension AVO coilovers and Panhard bar, Big 2 pot front calipers, rear discs, servo'd, adjustable front / rear bias, scruffy paint job !
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

Plasma cutters are a tad overkill for 2mm ally surely. I'd use a jigsaw or a nibbler. If you clamp a straight edge to cut along and use a deburring tool to finish off. Plenty good enough for something that is going to be covered with carpet! If you want a truly good job seek out a fab shop with a laser cutter.
Plasma torch for harder materials North of 3mm, absolutely agree. Also by far and away the most dangerous tool you will ever use! And I've used some nasty ones!

Post by CobStang »

Not at all.
I use one every day for cutting curved shapes out of 1.6 and 2mm ali sheet, so quick and easy. Guillotine for straight cuts.
Early B.R.A. Warmed 3.9 Rover, 5 sp, 3.07 rear, Fully adjustable front suspension with AVO coilovers, 4 link rear suspension AVO coilovers and Panhard bar, Big 2 pot front calipers, rear discs, servo'd, adjustable front / rear bias, scruffy paint job !
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

chaps, chaps - this is a one-off ali tunnel (original - 1.6mm in new money) which will need a bit of bashing and fettling to fit around the shift mechanism (spot the lumpy dings in original ones), which will be covered in carpet. You really don't need to go to these lengths... If you really can't face using a 25-yr-old black and decker jigsaw (my instrument of choice), get your local metal shop to stick it in their guillotine for the long straight cuts. Methinks we're making this a lot harder than it really is!
CobStang

Post by CobStang »

Merely trying to point out the options available, a quick look back at this reveals the carpet seems to be more complicated than the tunnel !
Hey ho.
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

CobStang wrote:... a quick look back at this reveals the carpet seems to be more complicated than the tunnel !
Hey ho.
That's pretty much right... probably best not to try the plasma cutter on the carpet, though.
Dave Woodward
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Dave Woodward »

Beginning to regret asking.

All I wanted was a template :shock: