Conference call for builders

Information about builds and rebuilds, post away!

Would you be interested in joining a monthly car building Skype call?

Poll ended at Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:28 pm

Yes - would be great to share experiences
43%
No - not interested thanks
14%
I'm not building but am interested anyway
43%

Total votes: 7

amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Conference call for builders

Post by amulheirn »

Building a car can be a slow business. I just spent quite a few hours cleaning grot off a pair of MGB stub axles, which is hardly exciting work. Sometimes I get a bit despondent when things aren't going right or progress seems stupidly slow. At other times lots of things just slot into place, but I think it can be easy to lose faith and make no progress with the build.

While I was scrubbing and degreasing today I thought about starting a monthly car builder's Skype call so that those of us in the build phase can encourage each other and share experiences. I wondered if there would be any interest in this, so I created a poll attached this post. Please click one of the options above, and maybe post a reply below as well to let me know what you think.

If there are more than a few of us, I will set something up.

If you don't know what Skype is, it enables free calls across the internet. It runs on tablets, computers, Apple Macs, iPads etc, and allows up to 25 people to conference call at the same time. Their website is http://www.skype.com and the software is free to download - you only pay when you call landlines with it.
Paul Blore

Re: Conference call for builders

Post by Paul Blore »

Very interesting idea Andy. Well done. I hope enough people show interest to get it off the ground.

Paul
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

Thanks - the poll is currently at a gripping 50/50 split - the result is on a knife-edge...
catsx11

Post by catsx11 »

Last edited by catsx11 on Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

Haha! Thanks for the wiz kid compliment - I'm mostly bumbling around trying to get thinks working through effective use of Google! I'll have a think about the live-stream. Not a bad idea...

I did put a 'not building but interested anyway' option up there, so you can click that. But I think I've got three people already, so as you say, that's enough. Will sort out a date and advertise it...
JohnO
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by JohnO »

Hi Andy,
I think the Skype call is a great idea. It may provide the motivation/peer pressure I need to get back to work on the car!
Cheers,
John
John O.
Retired - currently building a Hawk 289 FIA (very slowly)
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

A nail-biting finish to this cyber-poll - 5 votes to 1 carries the motion that there should be an informal skype chat once a month.

I'm away from home at the mo, but please post your skype names here, or email andrew@mulheirn.co.uk for information if you have technical questions I might be able to help with. I will set a date when I find a time in the diary and let you all know.