Rear wheels FIA

Information about builds and rebuilds, post away!
Wild Card 09

Re: Rear wheels FIA

Post by Wild Card 09 »

Thanks Peter, I can handle those sort of game rules.

So you are saying the only thing that has overtaken YOU .....is your offside front wheel :lol: :lol: :lol:
1981 BRA 289 (Chassis number 005)
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Wild Card 09 wrote:Peter,
I just checked an MG workshop manual in order to confirm my previous statement....and discovered that I was 100% wrong! The right hand thread should be on the right hand side of the car! This means that under harsh braking, the nut will tighten onto the thread (as the nut tries to continue to spin, when the axle speed is slowed by the braking force). You were obviously not braking enough :D :wink:
Yes. Nobody ever seems to understand that no car can accelerate hard enough to do serious damage - it's the stopping that can kill or cause serious damage. Spinners are one instance - but my favourite, which is got wrong 99.9% of the time, is boot luggage racks.
They are always mounted with the restraining bar at the back, as if to stop luggage falling off when you accelerate.
If you do a serious emergency stop, or even hit something and stop very suddenly indeed, the cases on your bootrack will shoot forward and hit your head. Decapitation has been known - seriously.
The bar goes at the front!!!!!

Roger
Wild Card 09

Post by Wild Card 09 »

I´ve never thought of that one before, but you do have a very good point, now you mention it!
Colin Newbold

Post by Colin Newbold »

Avon CRZ's, if I'm not mistaken Karl? You'll like those! Be interested to see how many miles you get out of them.

Colin
"How you see yourself is all very well, but it's how others see you that will determine the results you get as a leader!"
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

OCD wrote:Avon CRZ's, if I'm not mistaken Karl? You'll like those! Be interested to see how many miles you get out of them.

Colin
Most people get an astonishingly high mileage out of bootracks. Didn't know Avon made one, though.

Roger
Wild Card 09

Post by Wild Card 09 »

Wild Card 09 wrote:Peter,
I just checked an MG workshop manual in order to confirm my previous statement....and discovered that I was 100% wrong! The right hand thread should be on the right hand side of the car! This means that under harsh braking, the nut will tighten onto the thread (as the nut tries to continue to spin, when the axle speed is slowed by the braking force). You were obviously not braking enough :D :wink:
My gran useds to say "what can´t speak can´t lie" but this is causing me to severely doubt what I´ve read.
Upon opening the mail from Gerry about the spinner tightening tool, and looking at the pictures - Inoticed the text written on it saying "right hand side -undo"...pointing to the right! This ties up with my first statement, and contradicts what is stated in the MG Manual that I have in front of me.
It also means that the wheel spinners will be tightened under acceleration....and loosened under braking.

This still seams to defy logic. On the other hand the "tradition" started long before disc brakes, brake servos and modern tyres. Braking forces were way lower back then. Big horsepower (and especially torque) has been around alot longer.
Makes you think.......
Karl

Post by Karl »

After working nearly four weeks in the US I finally had the time today to mount my machined rear wheels today. I have taken 20 mm off, which was not too difficult with this wheel design . I think result is SVA acceptable.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Top of the spinner always moves forwards to undo, backwards to do up.

Roger
Karl

Post by Karl »

Now wheels are ready, but still can`t fly! Has to wait until I`m back from China.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kaiserbilly1

Post by kaiserbilly1 »

It's looking very good Karl, bring more photos to Silverstone for us to have a look at :wink:

Bill