Rear wheels FIA

Information about builds and rebuilds, post away!
kaiserbilly1

Re: Rear wheels FIA

Post by kaiserbilly1 »

The "horse" is looking really good, look forward to seeing the finished article :D

Bill
Karl

Post by Karl »

Me too, Bill, but as always, when it gets interesting the next job is coming. So down with the tools and off to Romania!
Richard Baxter

Post by Richard Baxter »

Karl

Now all you need to do is paint 'em black (apart from the spinners) :mrgreen:
petercharman

Post by petercharman »

Karl

Have been watching your build notes with interest.

Just for the record I bougth my FIA wheels from Gerry identical to yours (spline drive not peg) I waited over a year for them to be delivered and I paid £2,350.00 plus VAT thats £2,761.25, looks like you got a bargin or I got a raw deal!

Peter :( :) :)
petercharman

Post by petercharman »

Karl

Forgot to mention I also bought the wheels at the begining of 2001, perhaps on reflection splined hubs are more expensive than peg drive?

Peter
Wild Card 09

Post by Wild Card 09 »

Yes splined centres add well over 100,- to the price of each wheel, and they do weigh quite a bit more, too. I just bought a set, and definitely needed to sit down after hearing the price! I bought six, plus splined hub converters and six spinners and that really adds up. However, I am very impressed by the quality of them and the clever integration of the splines.
1981 BRA 289 (Chassis number 005)
petercharman

Post by petercharman »

Wild Card

I have to ask, why 6?

Peter
Wild Card 09

Post by Wild Card 09 »

Because I once had a weekend drive down to spain very nearly messed up by the lack of a suitable spare tyre. I lost a day and ended up getting a courier to drive a wheel down to Dijon. It wasn´t a Cobra run, but the thought that if it had been, finding the right rubber would be a challenge even on a weekday.

I don´t intend to carry a spare in the car, although I did in the past. I´d rather have less ballast, and more flexiblity as far as luggage is concerned.
I intend to run the same size mix that has worked very succesfully on my car (215/60 15 and 235/60 15) until now, and have the two spares sitting in the garage waiting for their moment of glory that hopefully will never happen.

damn, does age make you pessimistic, or what! :D :D

....or did you think I was goign to build a six wheeled hillclimb special, maybe :wink: :wink:
Wild Card 09

Post by Wild Card 09 »

And I only bought four splined converter hubs. The six spinners were because experience in the past with a Friends 289 Mk II have shown that the alloy spinners do get easily damaged. Gerry preferred to sell me the stainless ones, and having messed around with them in the garage, I can clearly see that THEY will outlast everything else!
petercharman

Post by petercharman »

Wild Crad

Yes it is definetly your age!

I carry a an MGB wire wheel as my spare and had to use it when returning from the Le Mans classic in 2006, when we were having a sprited run up to the port with my new 5.00 litre TVR engine installed and lost the front offside wheel at about 100kph

Had to return home with a rather thin wire wheel in it's place and dirty underpants!

I was using Gerry hexhead nuts to hold the wheels on, I have three for sale if anyone wants a (part) set, could not find the one that came off, I was lucky o find the FIA wheel about 100m away in a corn field.

I now use the shelby stainless steel spinners with wired tell tales.

I did have thoughts of the six wheeled tyrel driven by Jody Schekter that I saw at the Brish Grand Prix in 1976 at Brands Hatch (where I meet my wife) and wondered how that was going to work on a cobra!

Peter