New Member and IVA question

Information about builds and rebuilds, post away!
kenv

New Member and IVA question

Post by kenv »

Good evening all, I recently ordered a late model style Ace form Gerry and am awaiting delivery. Haven't built a replica or kit in the past but have rebuilt old cars and realise it's quite different, so please bear with the daft questions on the way through.
I've been trying to amass some of the necessary parts for the build and bought the MG parts and log book all listed on an invoice. My question is will this be picked up by the IVA examiner, as I'm one of those band keen to avoid a Q plate?
I hope that's clear
Regards
Ken
Paul Blore

Re: New Member and IVA question

Post by Paul Blore »

Hi Ken,
Welcome to the forum. There is a wealth of experience on the forum that will be all too keen to answer and and all of your questions. As the saying goes, the only silly question is the one you don't ask, so ask away.
If you haven't already done so, make sure you join the club.
Paul
kenv

Post by kenv »

Thanks Paul, Gerry has kindly paid for the first year, so fully fledged member :D
Regards
Ken
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

....and you now have a T289R Member tag against your username. :wink:

Paul
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

Hi Ken,

Welcome to the forum. I'm in the same boat as you, although building a 289 rather than an Ace. I see from the members database that you're in Basingstoke. I'm between Basingstoke and Farnham and am halfway through my build, so if you want to have a chat about all this I'd be glad to hear from you. Send me a PM if you want to get in touch...

A couple of us have a regular Skype call about building if you want to join in. Even if your chassis hasn't arrived yet, it's probably good insider information. Here's a link to the details: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3031

I know of someone else who is also building an Ace (or about to be, depending on whether his kit has arrived), and he may be on the call too. Here's what he's up to: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3009&p=25085&hilit= ... son#p25085

Finally, I and a few others are putting 'build tips' together on the club Wiki here: http://wiki.the289register.com/doku.php?id=tips:tips You may find some of this useful. A few things have changed since Gerry's manual was written - for example, the attachment points for the fuel pump, rear dampers etc are now part of the chassis, but the manual still talks about installing brackets and plates for these.

Cheers,

Andy
IainS

Post by IainS »

Hi Ken,

Your issue in your question is not the IVA test, the test examiner is primarily interested in safety and quality of build as well as compliance with the sizeable manual. As an aside I would encourage you to look at the manual early and think IVA throughout the build, far better than retrospective fixes.

Post IVA you will need to register your build with DVLA to get registration and the V5c. The IVA test certificate is part of the registration process but doesn't contain data required to ascertain the basis of registration (as again this isn't relevant to the IVA test). The registration you want is "radically altered vehicle" and requires (for our builds) use of front and rear axles and steering rack. Together classed as two components. They must come from a single donor as the logic is that donor is being radically modified, indeed you have to provide evidence of disposal of the remainder of the donor. I bought a donor as have many others but I am aware some buy a bag of parts and V5. All comes down to the documentary evidence you supply with your V5 application. The Kits and Rebuilds team within DVLA is now centralised in Swansea. Having been through this process last August I found them responsive and knowledgeable, which does mean you are right to consider this carefully now, if you don't want a Q plate.

Iain
kenv

Post by kenv »

Hi Iain and Andy, many thanks for all the info and advice, really helpful.
Andy, I've tried to PM you, and not sure of it worked, so if you haven't had anything, I'll try again (not very IT literate :oops: )
Regards
Ken
Regards
Ken
kenv

Post by kenv »

Actually Iain, can you say what constituted "evidence of disposal" and I presume you need to hang on to the V5 after disposal?
Regards
Ken
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

Hi Ken,

Iain's right - IVA and registration are two separate processes.

Not sure about the radically-alterted route, but I guess it has worked for Iain. As far as i can see, the outcomes for this are either the original plate or a Q-plate. To retain an original plate you need to have 5 points from the original chassis or body as well as some other bits, as far as I can see here: https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration ... d-vehicles which wouldn't be the case with our cars.

"Keep the original registration number

Your vehicle must have 8 or more points from the table below if you want to keep the original registration number. 5 of these points must come from having the original or new and unmodified chassis, monocoque bodyshell or frame."

I was going with what the Government calls a 'Kit Converted Vehicle'. For this you don't need the original chassis or body. You just need two major parts. The outcomes are either the original plate, an age-related plate or a q-plate. My aim being to get an age-related plate - I'm not fussed about getting the original plate. More here: https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration ... d-vehicles

"A kit-converted vehicle has had:

a kit of new parts added to an existing vehicle, or
old parts added to a new kit"

Our membership secretary is just filling in his IVA form, so he'd be worth talking to. Hopefully he'll be on the Skype call on the 5th January if you don't speak to him sooner.

I got your PM, so will give you a bell in the new year.

Cheers,

Andy
IainS

Post by IainS »

I would be surprised if many can use enough parts from the donor to have the donors registration transferred to the kit. I'm not sure why this would be of much interest anyway. Speaking I think for most, we go for radically altered, or re bodied or kit conversion, all relate to the use of two components, as I described, to obtain a registration the same year as the donor, so called age related registration. Don't forget you can easily and relatively cheaply get any number plate that pre dates your registration if you wish, but not if you are given a Q plate....

Again none of this is relevant to the IVA test.

As regards disposal, there is a section in the V627/1 "built up vehicle report" that asks for details of disposal of parts not used. I suspect this has more to do with environmental factors but the more evidence you can supply to convince DVLA you followed due process the more chance of avoiding the Q plate

Iain