Original side vent photo?

Information about builds and rebuilds, post away!
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Original side vent photo?

Post by amulheirn »

Hi all -

Does anyone have a good picture of the side vent and aperture on an original car? Gerry tells me the cut-outs in the wings were folded-back ally, so not very thick. I'd originally thought it might be a wired edge, but he says not.

I've looked in Trevor Legate's and also Rinsey Mill's books but all the pictures are either small, in low light or far away. Just trying to gauge how much GRP to cut back in the wing...

Cheers,
A
Roger King

Re: Original side vent photo?

Post by Roger King »

The vents in my Kirkham body are folded, not wired. I had similar vents in the race Healey and ditto, not wired. They don't need to be, so I can't see why anyone would do so. They are in the middle of a panel rather than forming the edge, like a wheelarch would.
COB6029 (Haynes Museum) are folded, but I don't have a photo of the vents.
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

Ah - thanks. That's what I think he was meaning.

I found this which looks ok: http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-air-ve ... 42073.html

.... just joking...

This photo of a Kirkham is fairly good: http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/shop-ta ... holes.html

And although it is a 427, there's a good pic here: https://www.hemmings.com/magazine/mus/2 ... 1643385306

I'm going to make the outer edge of the first and last fin equidistant from the bodywork either side.
Migge

Post by Migge »

I think he would like to see the inside.

Here is a pic of an unfinished Cobra from 2006 and one of the inside. The cut out is just folded, no wire.

Special customized BRA289
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

Yes Andy, the edge of the aperture has simply been folded back on itself to form a double thickness edge with a full radius. On my last Cobra, which was GRP, I ground back the inside face of the wing so that the edge is the correct thickness. Here is a picture of the finished vent:

Paul
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

Thanks chaps - that's great. And really interesting to see the inside, Migge - thanks. Last time I saw one was at Gerry's on a trailer - didn't have a camera at the time.

Cheers,

A.
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

With reference to your ealier link, I can supply details of the original grouting if you want it. AC used an usual mix of 3:1:1, sharp sand not garden.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Andrew,
I think you need to keep the edge radius small in order to get the louvres to be as close fitting as possible. I radiused mine similar to a wired edge but as if the wire inside was only 1.5 mm not 6 mm so ultimately it would look like a simple folded safe edge.
Peter C
swiftruss

Post by swiftruss »

Folded edge, definitely not wired. Hopefully a picture attached, if not I'll send them in a private message
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Are you planning to lose yours, Russ?