Project Sanity

Information about builds and rebuilds, post away!
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Re: Project Sanity

Post by amulheirn »

Hiya - I've just been through this loop with the rack.

Yes - the rack is the same, and it will work with MGB track-rod ends on. However Gerry advises against using the MGB ones because not enough thread winds into the track-rod end.

Instead, he supplies a pair of longer track-rod ends, but I think the hole isn't bored as deep. So as a result if you fit them to an unmodified rack, your front wheels will be splayed out visibly. He told me I'd have to cut about a quarter to a half inch off each rod to get it right, while still leaving sufficient thread inside the track rod end for safety reasons.

Andy
IainS

Post by IainS »

Ah I see. I remember Gerry supplied and advised I used his track rod ends but don't recall cutting the rod ends, but then maybe I did!!

Iain
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Hi Guys,
I seem to remember that Gerry mentioned that the FIA model had longer wishbones so it needed longer track rod ends. Perhaps Gerry only supplies the longer version and therefore that if you build a slab side then they would need shortening.
Peter C
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Karl wrote:Peter, it is called: Zircoflex and you will find it on the web.
Karl
That's the stuff, thanks Karl. It's amazing at reflecting heat, far more effective than a sheet of aluminium, very easy to fit, and much less obtrusive.
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

I took the executive decison today to aluminium panel the area where the side vent sits and surprisingly, it was a fairly straight forward job. The rest of the aluminium panels are now trimmed for a snug fit, with the sides to the footboxes spaced away slightly from the fibreglass. The next step is to fit it all together and then make a start on the inside. In the meantime Owain has run all of the brake and fuel lines through the chassis and that's just about completed

The inner arch

Nige
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Nige
Excellent but I think you now need to cover the bottom piece of fibreglass if for no other reason than it's is more easily cleaned than the finish on the rough side of the fibreglass.
Peter C
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

peterc wrote:Nige
Excellent but I think you now need to cover the bottom piece of fibreglass if for no other reason than it's is more easily cleaned than the finish on the rough side of the fibreglass.
Peter C
Hi Peter, Ive already made the pieces to do that :wink:
Nige
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Silly me why did I doubt that you hadn't already cut the parts ready to be fitted.
What's the next addition?
I can only assume that when you mentioned moving inside you will be Ali lining the cockpit. Are you good at using an English wheel so creating covers for the rear wheel arches. I guess a complete transmission tunnel in Ali is chicken feed.
Peter C
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

The rear wheel arch was hammered, not wheeled - and a very complicated shape at the top of the B post (hence the use of the hammer). Personally I think it would look better as original with just a piece of split leather stretched and glued over the curved arch. I suspect a lot of racing cars started out that way. No padding, just skived leather glued to the metal - you can see the outline of the rivet heads beneath it.
Maxakarudy

Post by Maxakarudy »

Roger King wrote:The rear wheel arch was hammered, not wheeled - and a very complicated shape at the top of the B post (hence the use of the hammer). Personally I think it would look better as original with just a piece of split leather stretched and glued over the curved arch. I suspect a lot of racing cars started out that way. No padding, just skived leather glued to the metal - you can see the outline of the rivet heads beneath it.
It would have been wheeled originally at AC, the Kirkham cars use a hammer forms to produce panels, hence the difference.
Martin