Project Sanity

Information about builds and rebuilds, post away!
Paul Blore

Re: Project Sanity

Post by Paul Blore »

Marsh wrote:Put a Cammer in it!!! :twisted:
They're a monster engine, but completely unsuited for anything other than NASCAR racing. The cam chain is about 3 miles long and if the engine is running almost constantly WOT, it works fine, but sustained on/off throttle stretches the chain and only the tiniest amount in each link results in a significant amount overall, which in turn, puts the cam timing out to an unacceptable degree.
You can get a belt drive conversion for them, but you're talking mega-bucks.
Also, they were designed to run flat out and don't work well at part throttle, let alone sitting in traffic, so regardless of the depth of your pockets, I'd advise against a Cammer for a Cobra.
I know a few people who have tried and subsequently reverted back to something more conventional.

Paul
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

peterc wrote:I already have the largest discs that fit inside the 15" alloys but they ought to be 6 pot calipers as per original.

Peter C
Did 289 Cobras have 6-pot calipers?

Paul
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

I don't think they did.

And don't worry Paul, he wasn't suggesting the cammer for the Cobra.
It was for the 2CV.
Marsh

Post by Marsh »

Roger King wrote:I don't think they did.

And don't worry Paul, he wasn't suggesting the cammer for the Cobra.
It was for the 2CV.
I've actually just choked on my tea!

Paul's absolutely right about the cammer - I wasn't being serious there.

A nice side oiler would do the trick; you could consider going down the Dragon Snake route...

Mind you, there remains an unused Cammer in a crate, somewhere on these shores, if you care to page back on t'other forum a few months.

Probably. :roll:

Lee
427 'side oiler' in 1965 Street trim
morgy

Post by morgy »

you could always put a 302 in it!! :wink: :wink: :oops:
Maxakarudy

Post by Maxakarudy »

Ultimate Hawk?, 2 words.......Ali body :D
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

Roger King wrote:And don't worry Paul, he wasn't suggesting the cammer for the Cobra.
It was for the 2CV.
Because that would make far more sense. :lol: :lol: :lol:
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Bearing mind the difficulty of finding a 289 are there advantages in choosing a 302 ?
Apart from a small increase in capacity does the update bring improved efficiencies and or power out of the box or is it a better starting point for tuning.
Peter C
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

I don't think 289's are hard to find, unless you're specifically looking for a 5-bolt block.

Paul
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

peterc wrote:Nige,
Not sure whether I would have the opportunity to start again from scratch but here goes for better Cobra spec.
A Hawk FIA again but it would definitely have to have a 289 engine and perhaps fuel injected fake IDF's. Aim for 325-350 BNP but ensure it is still able to potter in traffic.
I would also prefer to have a fast back hard top to make the car more useable when the weather is expected to be wet. I'm sure it's better than a softtop. I'm not sure that I would leave the inside without any trim at all but probably restrict the trim to a few basics.
I would investigate a taller dash like Roger used in order to get the correct spacing of the gauges.
I would have more Ali panels like Andy's FIA and a fully Ali lined engine bay. Of course retain the white footwells. Perhaps some fake front leaf springs.
I would use Gerry's tubular suspension front suspension again but this time persuade Gerry to supply the bits for tubular rear suspension with a Cosworth LSD diff and outboard discs.
Pin drive Halibrand alloys plus the Avons
I already have the largest discs that fit inside the 15" alloys but they ought to be 6 pot calipers as per original.
Paint would be the correct Viking Blue but not bother with any stripes. Correct period Reg plate.
How about that for a minimum.
Of course if money no object I guess it would just have to be a Kirkham FIA.

Of course you are not about to start modifying the current build are you?
Peter C
That sounds like a really nice build Peter and it's all relatively straight forward too. I'd definitely recommend a hardtop. Without the sidescreens on it's just like driving the car without the roof on, as the wind still whistles around the inside of the car, so you get all of the sensations of open topped motoring, but without the flapping canvas of a soft top or burnt head in the sun. Sun??? what was that?? With the sidescreens on it's quite civilised and turns it into something that could be used daily if you wanted to. I'm very happy with the hardtop on mine and can't see the point in taking it off to be honest.

As to modifying the current build, I'm assuming you're talking of the new one at the top of this thread? Yes!! it will be modified and won't resemble the Hawk heritage that much once finished after the IVA test. And yes, I'm still modifying my Viper too with quite a few cosmetic changes planned over the next few months.

Nige

PS if you want a taller dash I might be able to help you out with an aluminium one that would fit a Hawk :wink: