Project Sanity

Information about builds and rebuilds, post away!
agnoraan

Project Sanity

Post by agnoraan »

It's been said that Insanity can follow Sanity, so I'm guessing that there must be an element of truth in this as I've just put back my scratch build, "Insanity" back for a while, to build an FIA Cobra with my good friend Owain. I took Owain with me to Silverstone last year in the Viper and from that point onwards he's been totally hooked, to the point that when a Hawk FIA came up for sale, we made an executive decison to buy it and build it together, just as good mates do. It'll be a hoot!! and we haven't stopped laughing all day today. We picked the car up just before Christmas and finally made a start on putting it together today. It's going to have a few changes to the way a normal Hawk kit looks, though retaining the ethos of the original cars.

So, without further ado, here's a few pics of where we are at with it at the moment.

The car as bought.

The car had been loosely assembled to make it a roller, but as it was to go through an IVA test, we felt it best to strip it right down and start again from scratch, just to satisfy the testers at VOSA. The body was seperated from the chassis and put onto a custom made bench to keep it out of the way whilst the chassis was assembled

So, the build began today and we've managed to assemble all of the front suspension apart from the discs and steering rack. The rack needs narrowing and, at the moment, we're looking into putting different hubs onto the front as we're not able to get any wheels or splined inserts from Gerry

The rear end being assembled ready to fit into place

All in all it's been a very productive day and after 5 hours work we now have the front and rear suspension in place (apart form the discs and steering rack as mentioned). Tomorrow it's lay out all of the brake and fuel lines and get it all clipped to the chassis. Sunday and Monday will be spent cladding the engine bay with aluminium, and this is going to be soooo much easier than the job I did to mine recently, I'm actually looking forward to doing that :D As soon as we get an age verification for the engine from Heritage, we can then paint and detail it and put that in prior to refitting the body.

Nige
agnoraan

Re: Project Sanity

Post by agnoraan »

Sorry, but could this be moved to the projects section? I put it in general Cobra by mistake thanks
Nige
the289admin
T289R Forum Admin
T289R Forum Admin

Post by the289admin »

No worries - now moved. Good luck with the build!
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

Just playing devils advocate here, but if you guys were to build another car, how would it look, what colour would it be, would it be standard , if there is such a thing? or have a race car look, would it have a fully trimmed interior, what engine and induction set up and what running gear? etc etc. Just let your imagination run riot and menatlly build your "ultimate" car, money no object :lol: :wink:
What would you do??
Nige
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

agnoraan wrote:Just playing devils advocate here, but if you guys were to build another car, how would it look, what colour would it be, would it be standard , if there is such a thing? or have a race car look, would it have a fully trimmed interior, what engine and induction set up and what running gear? etc etc. Just let your imagination run riot and menatlly build your "ultimate" car, money no object :lol: :wink:
What would you do??
Nige
I don't need to answer that. But - you have to keep the front wires in the first pic! Brilliant!

Seriously glad you have a good project to do with a mate, it's a lot more fun that way.
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

Roger King wrote:
agnoraan wrote:Just playing devils advocate here, but if you guys were to build another car, how would it look, what colour would it be, would it be standard , if there is such a thing? or have a race car look, would it have a fully trimmed interior, what engine and induction set up and what running gear? etc etc. Just let your imagination run riot and menatlly build your "ultimate" car, money no object :lol: :wink:
What would you do??
Nige
I don't need to answer that. But - you have to keep the front wires in the first pic! Brilliant!
With 245's maybe and some Avon lettering?? :wink: :P

So is this car the last Cobra you're going to build for yourself?? surely not.
Nige
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

There's no way I can afford another one of these! And anyway, project maximum horsepower awaits
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

i.e. 2
Marsh

Post by Marsh »

Put a Cammer in it!!! :twisted:
427 'side oiler' in 1965 Street trim
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Nige,
Not sure whether I would have the opportunity to start again from scratch but here goes for better Cobra spec.
A Hawk FIA again but it would definitely have to have a 289 engine and perhaps fuel injected fake IDF's. Aim for 325-350 BNP but ensure it is still able to potter in traffic.
I would also prefer to have a fast back hard top to make the car more useable when the weather is expected to be wet. I'm sure it's better than a softtop. I'm not sure that I would leave the inside without any trim at all but probably restrict the trim to a few basics.
I would investigate a taller dash like Roger used in order to get the correct spacing of the gauges.
I would have more Ali panels like Andy's FIA and a fully Ali lined engine bay. Of course retain the white footwells. Perhaps some fake front leaf springs.
I would use Gerry's tubular suspension front suspension again but this time persuade Gerry to supply the bits for tubular rear suspension with a Cosworth LSD diff and outboard discs.
Pin drive Halibrand alloys plus the Avons
I already have the largest discs that fit inside the 15" alloys but they ought to be 6 pot calipers as per original.
Paint would be the correct Viking Blue but not bother with any stripes. Correct period Reg plate.
How about that for a minimum.
Of course if money no object I guess it would just have to be a Kirkham FIA.

Of course you are not about to start modifying the current build are you?
Peter C