My Hawk Ace has arrived

Information about builds and rebuilds, post away!
kenv

My Hawk Ace has arrived

Post by kenv »

Afternoon chaps, The car's arrived and refurb of parts has started. V excited to be getting on with it, but a bit daunted too, good to know help is at hand tho'. Apologies for lack of photos, I'm a luddite with computers and my mac won't let me load one, or use smilies.
Ken
Regards
Ken
Roger King

Re: My Hawk Ace has arrived

Post by Roger King »

Brilliant Ken, there aren't enough of those about! Are you planning on using the excellent Triumph straight six with overdrive 'box? I've had loads of those over the years, in Vitesses, GT6s, TRs etc. and reckon it's a truly great engine. Simple to run Strombergs, SUs or DCOE Webers, the last two of which are great. A be-Webered Triumph 2.0 or 2.5 is a wonderful power unit.
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

Great news Ken - I'll come and take a look at some point!

Let me know if you need advice on pictures - I use a Mac and it's no problem. There are some Howto guides here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3133
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

We should start a 289 Mac users' break-away chapter.
Take a stand to show that we can be manipulated by Apple just as effectively as Windows users are manipulated by Microsoft.
kenv

Post by kenv »

Thanks Guys, Yes Roger, a 2.5 straight 6 with O/D box, running SU's HS6's, as recommended by Gerry and Davew. It's not an engine I know well, but everyone speaks highly of it so looking forward to having a drive. And mac's are different to PC's but the same with their respective organisations.
No problems Andy, just let me know when Andy, as I'm out and about a bit at the moment, gathering a few bits and returning trolleys to Gerry etc.Thanks for the link, I'll see if I can post something later.
It's an Ace, but the one that the Cobra was based on, so got the longer nose, a la Cobra.
Regards
Regards
Ken
kenv

Post by kenv »

Lets see if this works?
Image20170308_105758 by Ken Venables, on Flickr
Seems to, thanks Andy, usurped from the garage to make room
ImageIMG_3043 by Ken Venables, on Flickr
Regards
Ken
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

A rare beast, indeed, Ken, congratulations! Arguably the most aesthetically pleasing of all Ace/Cobra variants!
Dad has the same engine/carb/box combo in his AC Greyhound, we did a 'stage 3' job on it, with lightened flywheel, 'extractor' manifold and upped from HS4's to HS6 SU's, looks & sounds spot on!
Keep us updated with photos, we all love a build thread!
8)
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

Nice Hawk 2.6!
I used to like John Harles car I think they are nicer than the moustache touting Aces, but that's just my opinion and we all know my opinion counts for Jack shite :wink:
Good luck with the build. Axle stands as high as they go. Mark the chassis with white paint markers or masking tape where you can get to (for fuel and brake lines) It helps to show where the chassis is exposed in the engine bay for clutch mechanisms etc. If you can fit the exhaust with the body off (this makes this so much easier). Last tip is to cut the the body, on the rear scuttle,for the propshaft virtually to the extremities of the gearbox tunnel (at the back end) and fit a propshaft hoop as part of the rolling chassis build up. Those things together must have cost me about 3 weekends during the build.
The ideas floated around of filling the chassis rails with Dinotrol or waxoil are also worth noting.
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

I don't know if you have an engine yet, but be aware that the one weak point of the Triumph 'six' is the crankshaft thrust washer bearings A good way of telling if there's a problem with the engine installed is to get someone to press the clutch down while you watch the damper - if you can see any movement there's a problem. It's the crankcase web that wears so can be a tricky fix, I'm afraid. Otherwise it's a truly great engine.
kenv

Post by kenv »

Thanks for all the positive comments, it has always been my favourite style, but as with all vehicles on this forum, it's a Cobra/Ace, which is more than enough.
Nik, I'll try to keep the updates coming within the limits of my IT abilities! What you did on the Greyhound is the same as I'm hoping to do, so good to hear. The Greyhound must be great, not many about, what colour?
Hi Stew, I'm going to try to keep the body on for the build, which is probably foolhardy, but not enough space! I use Dinotrol on the Marcos, so will go with that on the Ace, thanks for the tip.
Hi again Roger, couldn't find any engines so went with Gerry's man and it was in component parts, but thanks for the tip, probably worth replacing the thrust washers and checking the end float at least, would that solve the problem. The engine was from an auto, so not sure if that's better or worse! But it was supposedly from a relatively low mileage donor!!!??? we'll see when I start work on it, I'm going to send the gearbox away to be checked and sorted as I consider this a black art, but have wired up cars before and thats quite good fun, so should save a bit to pay for the box work hopefully.
Regards
Ken