someone to check the car for IVA compliance

Information about builds and rebuilds, post away!
kenv

someone to check the car for IVA compliance

Post by kenv »

I recall a post that someone, maybe a member was prepared to check over a build before it went into IVA. I can't find it, so am I dreaming, or does someone offer this?
Regards
Ken
KevinW
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: someone to check the car for IVA compliance

Post by KevinW »

where abouts in hampshire are you?
there are a few of us in the vicinity depending on your location. If surrey/hants border, i don't mind popping over.
kenv

Post by kenv »

Many thanks Kevin, I'm over near Basingstoke, it's probably a bit far over for you?
Regards
Ken
KevinW
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by KevinW »

You're 35 mins from work (Guildford). I can pop over sometime if needed after work one evening, but I'll wait to see if you get any closer takers.
When are you going for IVA? Guessing you are planning on Southampton.
kenv

Post by kenv »

Cheers Kevin, that's good of you. I don't know how long the test takes to come through, but yes I'm sure it'll be Southampton. I'm hoping to be ready sometime in October. The major unknown at the moment is the wiring as I can't get any response from ECS and as you don't get a wiring diagram it's quite difficult to follow and I can't get the engine to turn over, which I suspect is the immobilser as the starter seems to work OK.
Regards
Ken
KevinW
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by KevinW »

Some suggestions, not sure engine it is, and sorry if this is teaching grandma to suck eggs:

- disconnect the immobiliser is my suggestion, re-fit later. try without it. I installed mine to be unpluggable.
then chop out all the thin black wires and replace them with something of decent gauge. You may be suffering from voltage drop along the wire run.
Have you checked with a voltmeter that you have a live feed on the solenoid for the starter?
What gauge is your starter live feed from the battery and how long is the run?
Have you got sparks?
Have you set up static timing?
Does engine turn freely with plugs out?
Is there petrol getting to the carb?
Have you checked wiring on the ignition switch, so that you get a +12V feed to the starter solenoid on the 'sprung' key position?
Have you wired the dizzy / coil correctly?
Do you need a ballast resistor? (I never have)
- and, the obvious one....any blown fuses?

and unrelated to making the engine start, but important :
have you got oil pressure when you turn the engine over?
have you primed the oil pump if its RV8?
have you spun the dizzy drive to ensure you have oil at the top of the rockers before attempting to start the engine?

HTH
Last edited by KevinW on Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KevinW
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by KevinW »

Postscript: I see you have a straight 6, so ignore the above RV8 comments.
kenv

Post by kenv »

Thanks for that Kevin, at this stage I was just trying to see if the engine turned over, I've checked some of the above out and all seems ok. However, as I mentioned the instructions are hopeless, but the wire to the starter has a double connector, so may be the problem. Found it late tonight, so haven't been able to check it out. Will try to phone ECS monday, see if I can catch the guy about the Thatcham wiring as there's nothing on line (not surprisingly I suppose!) Once that's sorted, I'll go through your list
Regards
Ken