Dash board fitting

Information about builds and rebuilds, post away!
James Baxter

Dash board fitting

Post by James Baxter »

Hawk building.
My tip of the day:-
1. Try your switches (or even fit them!) in their dashboard holes before you fit the dash panel. You may find that they have insufficient thread to engage the lockring on the front face. Get your flap wheel in the angle grinder and thin down the dash panel from behind if necessary.

2. Fit your clock before you fit the dash panel, even if you don't fit the others. Getting the fastening nut on the clamp at the rear is the fiddliest job in the world if the dash is in the car.

3. When you make the glove box bigger, as many do, use all the space you need under the dashboard, make it huge, but don't forget the heater box needs room. Grrrrrrrr. Had to move my heater over. Grrrrrrr.

Tip top,
James
Also intersted in all AC's, Frazer Nash, Pre-war cars
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Dash board fitting

Post by clive »

Hi James,
Good tip, I fitted and tested all my instrumentation/swiches before fitting the dash, both before and after covering with leather. Make sure the holes are large enough if you are covering with leather though.
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
richmixture

Re: Dash board fitting

Post by richmixture »

I would have thought that it was standard practise and obvious to fit all this junk before fitting the dash!?

Fitting that thing is one of the confounded jobs to do, esp if you, like me, like to make the wiring all neat and tidy.
Kris