BRA289 customized recreation

Information about builds and rebuilds, post away!
Migge

Re: BRA289 customized recreation

Post by Migge »

Core plug is in and tight, no more leak at the moment. Right now getting crazy with the Dellortos, still missfiring. Will take a look at all jets etc.
Special customized BRA289
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Sorry we missed you at the weekend Migge. Glad to hear you have got the core plug issue sorted.
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
Migge

Post by Migge »

I'm sorry too Clive for missing the SC2016 and you guys. Just a few days :(
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

Hi Migge,

Good to hear that you got the core plugs sorted out eventually. I'm a little surprised that you've left the engine until last to get sorted out. As Roger has already experienced, no matter how well prepared or careful you are, there will almost inevitably be something that needs attention on the engine and you then run the risk of damaging the freshly painted bodywork.

Paul
Migge

Post by Migge »

Paul,

The engine and gearbox sat for 7 years in the back of my garage waiting for mounting.

I just installed it after the paint job. Of course the better way was to mount it before painting to check everything. Some times I'm are a bit arrogant against myself and sometimes this results in avoidable mistakes :?
That's it.

The engine was running perfect before renewing all gaskets, linkage, clutch, flywheel, headers, distributor, starter, alternator etc. etc. I just missed the core plugs and they looked perfect to me in 2009.

Right now the engine is running horrible and I changed nothing. Next problem.
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

Hi Migge,

We all have perfect 20/20 hindsight. :wink:

Quad Webers or Dellortos can be a challenge at the best of times, so I hope you get them sorted okay.

If they're all in good condition with no air leaks, then a methodical process should get them setup and balanced satisfactorily.

Paul
Colin Newbold

Post by Colin Newbold »

I'm really sorry we didn't see you at Silverstone Migge, seems like the gods were against you. Maybe you will be good for the Nurburgring?

Talking of core plugs, one of the MGBs in my race (the fastest one) blew out a core plug before completing the first lap of qualifying and another on the morning of the race. The third one he used a form of liquid metal over the seam as a precaution. He completed the race with a fastest lap of 2 mins 45 secs.

We meanwhile lost all gears except 1st in qualifying and Barry worked tirelessly into the evening fixing a loose selector fork with the gearbox still in place. While I had all 4 gears after the job was complete (road testing around the Stowe circuit) in the Assembly Area heading out to the race I could only find 1st again. Eventually Wil and I completed the race using just 3rd and 4th gears. We were lapping 2 mins 50 secs, so off the pace but we didn't come last! (There was one behind us!).

Sunday was much less stressful and our Cobras found their way through the infield to park up on the club stand, where a great time was shared by all. So sad you weren't one of us :x

Good luck with the carbs (old petrol gone like glue????), keep us posted.

Colin
"How you see yourself is all very well, but it's how others see you that will determine the results you get as a leader!"
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Sorry to have missed you, Migge. I hope you get this sorted soon.

Have you tried any 'other' forums regarding Rover V8 core plugs? Faced with a very strange problem like this (never heard of having to machine core plugs, ever), I would look for another relevant forum (MGBV8, Rover P5, Rover P6 etc.), join it (free), and ask if anyone has ever come across this before. Believe me, they will have, and some ancient guru will be able to tell you what's going on and how to fix it. I am worried that if you really do have to machine a core plug, the cup section will be weaker due to reduced wall thickness with predictable results.

Good luck with it. We will lay on a fanfare of trumpets for its appearance next year!

Roger
Migge

Post by Migge »

We milled down conical 37.80 to 38.30mm. 37.80 to get a start fit. It went in half way easy and then I had to push it really hard to get the plug full in. I can't imagine how to start push this plug without modification. The aluminium at the bore is approx. 6-7mm thick and I was a bit afraid to risk a crack.

May I demount the engine in winter and replace all plugs. Right now it seems fine.

Well, the Dellortos need some attention. Either it's a wrong jet or blocked jet or the carb is sucking air else where.
Migge

Post by Migge »

Work on the Dellortos maybe Saturday evening. But made some pics.

Need to make the grille :?