BRA289 customized recreation

Information about builds and rebuilds, post away!
agnoraan

Re: BRA289 customized recreation

Post by agnoraan »

Migge, that looks absolutely gorgeous, what a fantastic achievement. It looks awesome :-)
Nige
Migge

Post by Migge »

Thanks to everybody.

Allen, you would not believe how much air this little screen is keeping away.
Special customized BRA289
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

We all know that you have continued to add wonderful little details to the car over the period of the build but how do then manage to conjure up the number plate AC 289. I didn't think you got any choices in Germany so you must have spent a long time searching for it.
Peter C
Karl

Post by Karl »

Peter, you can choose your number in Germany, if it is free. I also have AC 289 on my car, you did not notice that in Silverstone?
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Sorry Karl, if I had noticed at the time its been forgotten until you reminded me and I have looked at the photo.
Peter C
Migge

Post by Migge »

24 jets dissembled, air blasted, new gaskets again for the trumpets and the misfiring has gone almost completely :)

The rest of the adjustments has to done by a prof. and on the dyno.

What's scares me are the oil leaks under valve covers and valve cover adapter plates and the leaky oil sump gasket.

They were 6 years on the dry engine. May that's the reason. Will renew them in winter.
Dave Woodward
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Dave Woodward »

Do you have a PCV valve? My Rover leaked badly for the rocker covers until I added a valve and the leaking stopped. New gaskets did not solve the problem.

Although the extent of your leaks may be too great and you may not want one for aesthetic reasons.

Dave.

Post by Migge »

I have on each valve cover two breathers Dave. That should not be the problem but thanks anyway.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Migge,
I'm sure you already realise that any cork gaskets have a chance to dry out over a lengthy period resting without the splashing of oil
I had to change from cork to the rubber type gasket under the adapters as they both leaked in several places. I also needed to check that they were totally flat which they were not to start with!
It's important to tightening them down evenly but then I would expect you would have taken care of that accordingly . My Ford covers needed a good dose of gasket cement to over come the next layer of leaks. 2-3 leaks per bank for such a simple joint.!!
Same goes for the sump as it's easy to distort the tin flange.

As you say it's the dyno thats needed to make finer adjustments but there may still be an amount of gumming up until it's given a bit of a work out when properly up to temperature.

I did have it recommended to have a vacuum advance control valve between carb and distributor on my Rover which dampens the affect of the ignition timing but not having this shouldn't affect the general running as it's more of an economy/smoother running for road use. Competition engines clearly don't bother.
Peter C
Migge

Post by Migge »

Peter,

I have rubber gaskets for the valve covers and the sump :?

No, I don't have any tube connected for vaccum advance and never had on any engine. It's as you say a economy reason to have them. I don't car for that as only approx. 3t miles a year :D