BRA289 customized recreation

Information about builds and rebuilds, post away!
David Large

Re: BRA289 customized recreation

Post by David Large »

Migge,

What an amazing project. I really enjoy seeing the progress you are making and the engineering you are putting into this "old BRA".

Regards

David
David Large
Bald surfer with a BRA 289, Porsche 968 Coupe and a Radical PR6!
Migge

Post by Migge »

To place a remote housing on a Rover gearbox like LT77 more to the dash you can cut it to the prefered size, weld it, etc.
I was looking for the easy way and bought a Sherpa remote. It was not the easy way :(
The bracket is inclined to the drivers side (UK side :( so no use for that on german roads. So I made a new bracket. The position of the housing has to be horizontal. The upper holes are too narrow and the bottom hole are too wide for the bores in the gearbox housing, so you have to drill new ones. It is important to locate them in the middle of the other ones, because that is the perfect high for the gear lever socket. The socket has to be in the right height to get good gear change movements, not too high and not too low. The gear lever bottom pin has to fit into the socket not too far, just a few mm below the steel ball and it has to be verticale also. Because I have a R380 gearbox the return is on position left forward. The bracket on top of the housing does not allow to move to the left, not far enough left, so you have to grind off the edge a few mm. To replicate the original gear lever position I have welded the lever a bit more to the left.
That's for now.

Cheers
Migge
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Special customized BRA289
Migge

Post by Migge »

Socket position
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Migge

Post by Migge »

New bracket
Migge

Post by Migge »

The too high edge on the left
Migge

Post by Migge »

my welding skills are getting better, for a gear lever good enough but not for the chassis.

It will be painted tomorrow.
Migge

Post by Migge »

Gearbox ready to fit
Migge

Post by Migge »

Drive shafts are in
Migge

Post by Migge »

Brakelines front
Migge

Post by Migge »

Part 2