Aluminium panels for engine bay

Information about builds and rebuilds, post away!
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Aluminium panels for engine bay

Post by clive »

I have never thought about that to be honest. With a fibreglass bonnet, foot boxes and inner wings, I don't think a thin sheet of aluminium is going to do much good. As soon as I see any sign of smoke or fire I'll be out of there like a greyhound out of a trap!
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Finally plucked up the courage to start cutting the sheet of Ali I had reserved for the job.
Using some patterns borrowed from Andrew Mulheirn I used them as a guide to make my own set to suit my FIA. I was forced to cut around the body to chassis mounting as there wasn’t sufficient gap to force any Ali into place. I had already lined from the nose aperture back to the rad so the only bit missing is hidden below the body bolting and forward to the rad mounting.
I wanted to go higher up into the wheel arch return rather than cut it short as appears to be what others do.
Result is not too bad bearing in mind the sheet was not plastic coated. Minor scratches dents provides suitable patia!
The cut outs by the way are because I have a transverse front leaf spring. (faux!)
IMG_1684.jpeg
IMG_1681.jpeg
Colin Chapman would be turning in his grave at me adding weight but I am probably still at least 70kgs lighter than having a Ford lump.
Hopefully my enlarged 4.7 Rover will be back soon.
Peter C
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve M
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Steve M »

Hello all - I'm in the process of arranging for the panels to be fabricated. Would any of you kind chaps be able to send me the .DWG files if you have them please? PM me for my e-mail address...
Thank you
Steve
Migge

Post by Migge »

Peter,

fake aluminium leaf spring painted black :-)
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

That’s correct Migge.
An extended version of Stuart’s design so the top leaf goes into the wheel arch further so the ends were out of sight even before I added the rubber flaps. Hopefully it represents what was originally done.
Peter C
Last edited by peterc on Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Sorry Steve. No dwg files merely cardboard templates.
Peter C