Aluminium panels for engine bay

Information about builds and rebuilds, post away!
Dave Woodward
T289R Member
T289R Member

Aluminium panels for engine bay

Post by Dave Woodward »

I've been meaning to post this for some time but wanted to complete the job first so that I could provide an informed update.

Following my return from LMC last year it became clear that I need to do some maintenance on my clutch, and so the engine and gearbox duly came out. This in turn presented me with an opportunity to refresh my engine bay, something I'd had on my mind for some time. My bay at the time was all black gelcoat as per the original kit and I'd be thinking about painting the footboxes white and putting aluminium wings in.

I reached out to Jon Towers, who many will know from their excellent build, and after some discussion he kindly supplied me with copies of the cad files he and Mark had prepared with Slipstream Design during their own build. I must at this point give all credit to Jon, Mark and Slipstream design for the original files and for kindly sharing. Jon agreed for me to share these with the wider club on the basis that if used, any member makes an appropriate charitable donation of a value they deem commensurate, in lieu of any payment to Jon or Slipstream.

I had the files laser cut by a local company and set about fitting to my car. Now its worth nothing that if the body had been off the car then they would have been very straightforward to fit. A single fold to each side and rivet/bolt in place. Given that my car remained on the chassis with brake lines, wiring loom, radiator, etc all in situ the fit was made a little more complicated but as was the case back in the days of the Krypton Factor, all was possible (all be it with a little additional trimming to the bottom of the panels to clear the chassis rails.

I've attached a couple of picture of my install based on these files (some appear upside down for some reason when you click on them - can't work out why!!) and included the original Vector PDF files (zipped) as supplied to me for you to use in your builds should you wish to. I also have these converted to .dwg format (which I can forward) which my particular laser cutter wanted but the PDF's can be converted to any CAD format as required. I hope the .zip file works as thats the only format I could load to this page. If not, PM me for a copy.

Again, all thanks go to Jon and Mark Towers, and Slipstream design for making these file available. Please remember to make a charitable donation if you do use these files.

Dave
IMG_0868.jpg
IMG_0952.jpeg
IMG_0953.jpeg
289 Engine Bay Ali Panels.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Aluminium panels for engine bay

Post by peterc »

Very nice. I need to pluck up courage in late Oct when the engine comes out for its top hat liners to be fitted.
I have some patterns from another member but that means cutting the Ali myself.
Peter C
Dave Woodward
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Dave Woodward »

Happy to talk you through the nuances of fitting these in situ Peter.
Catch you soon.
Dave.
T289R Member

Post by Chris Pendry »

Progress today!
Aluminium Panelling finished 😀
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

I’m just plucking up the courage to have a go at that task as my engine is out at present.
Yours looks very nice.
What gauge Ali did you use. 20 or 22 swg.
I ran out of time when I built my car as I was trying to get the car through the SVA before the rules were tightened.

I had already done the bulkhead and won’t bother with covering my foot wells as they are moulded in white.
Peter C
Chris Pendry
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Chris Pendry »

Sorry for delayed reply Peter
I used 1mm (19 gauge) Ali to do the cladding
I’m fortunate that I have use of a large box folder and Guillotine to help
I started by using Stu’s suggestion of lining paper for templates
I then decided rather than pop riveting I’d use riv nuts and stainless button heads to give it that authentic riveted look .You then still have the option to remove panels if you need to.
The most tricky panel was forming the shape for the drivers tunnel with the foot bulge- infact this was formed using stainless domed rivets which match the button head bolts
A lot of work and time but I enjoyed the challenge and after a bit of fettling I’m pleased with the result
Just need to get on with the rest of it… 😬
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Thanks Chris. I didn’t know they did 19 gauge but I have a sheet of 20 swg ready to use. Unfortunately it’s not plastic covered so will need to be careful not to scratch.
Having trouble getting the pattern between the chassis and body at the bolting point. I might end up being forced to cut around the bolting area.
Will see how I get on this week.it’s make or break time!
Peter C
Allanw

Post by Allanw »

I quite fancy a go at this myself as I'm near the beginning of my build. Mine is an Ace replica not a 289 - does anyone have any thoughts on whether there will be a difference?

Thanks,

Allan.
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

During my build, I thought I would try spray painting my engine bay with Halfords rattle cans before attempting the panelling route. The result was pretty good so I just went with the painted option. It was that good that it fooled GH when he saw it!

Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
David_W

Post by David_W »

clive wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:59 pm During my build, I thought I would try spray painting my engine bay with Halfords rattle cans before attempting the panelling route. The result was pretty good so I just went with the painted option. It was that good that it fooled GH when he saw it!
That looks great! Out of interest, is the 'real' aluminium preferred for it's fire retardant properties?