Trimming Doors - how is pocket made?

Information about builds and rebuilds, post away!
phlip99
T289R Member
T289R Member

Trimming Doors - how is pocket made?

Post by phlip99 »

Evening All,

I'm not sure that my doors are like others I've seen here on the Forum with respect to the door pocket. I'm wondering how best to trim??
They currently simply have a trimmed door card covering the whole face but I'd like a pocket to stash useful bits & pieces for a journey.

How do others tackle this - is my door built like yours with square section steel tubing inside??

Photos appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Phil.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Trimming Doors - how is pocket made?

Post by clive »

The steel tubing inside the door is an IVA requirement for side-impact protection. My doors were professionally trimmed and the pockets are attached to the cards but do not go into the door as I think you are implying.

A tip I was told to about was to spray a small amount of builder's expanding foam between the side-impact bar and the outer door skin to prevent drumming of the door panel. Be careful not to overdo this as too much can affect the paint.

Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Mine is very similar to Clive’s. Start with a plain door card and add the pocket onto it.
From photos in relevant books it should be a gentle curve from top of lock to top of door hinge. Mine has a bit too much ruching.
Peter C
attachment=0]IMG_0012.jpeg[/attachment]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

There is plenty of room behind the seats to "stash" useful bits and bobs. :D
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
phlip99
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by phlip99 »

OK thanks Clive & Peter, that makes sense. I have a TR3 and the pocket goes backwards into the door cavity, so that was what I had in mind. Except the TR, being steel, has very little material around the edges compared with the Hawk. The pockets you have look straightforward enough.
Cheers
Phil.
phlip99
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by phlip99 »

OK thanks Clive & Peter, that makes sense. I have a TR3 and the pocket goes backwards into the door cavity, so that was what I had in mind. Except the TR, being steel, has very little material around the edges compared with the Hawk. The pockets you have look straightforward enough.
Cheers
Phil.