Painting Project

Information about builds and rebuilds, post away!
andyg
T289R Member
T289R Member

Painting Project

Post by andyg »

Ready to Roll!.JPG
csx2345.jpg
I decided a while ago to recreate my own tribute to CSX 2345 an FIA car from 1965. The paint scheme and finished appearance were very important in achiving this. How did I go about it?

Living in Berkshire I had a few options of bodyshop. I visited three and spoke to one other on the phone. After some thought, I opted to use Brooklands Motor Company http://www.acheritage.co.uk who, although in Surrey, were only about 35 mins drive from me. Steve Gray has some ex AC employees working for him and also has body bucks and templates from the original factory, which he still uses to make aluminium cars today - 289's, FIA's and 427's.
Car & Bodies.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
andyg
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Painting Project

Post by andyg »

One of the templates is for the side vents and by holding this up to my car, it highlighted one of the differences between it and the original.
Side Vents.JPG
To start with, the two rear arches were given more shape and height to closer resemble the 289 FIA rear end. I only really discovered how much had been changed when I fitted a lift the dot stud. Where previously I had about 10mm of thread protruding through the body work, I now had none!
Prep2.JPG
Further enhancements were made to the overall surface finish and I had the front end modified. CSX 2345 had oval cut out's where the quick lift's were mounted and the oil cooler intake was a different shape
Front End.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
andyg
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by andyg »

The car went through several different stages of preparation from the modifications to general filling/sanding before a polyester filler coat was sprayed on.
Polyester.JPG
This was rubbed down to allow the car to be primed before final painting. When CSX 2345 finished racing in 1965, it was Guardsman Blue with twin Wimbledon White stripes. The original AC Cars colour sample booklet was used to get the Guardsman Blue as close to the 1965 colour as possible. Five coats of this were the applied with a lot of sanding in between before the clear coat went on. This gave a finish which looked superb.
Finished Blue.JPG
The stripes and roundels were then added. They are actually a slightly off white (creamy) colour, which was Steve's idea, and it not only compliments the blue better but helps to age the car. More rubbing and polishing then gave the final finish which I am very pleased with - to say the least.
Finished.JPG
I feel the preparation work and modifications which have been done to the car by the guys at Brooklands enhance it's appearance hugely and have been very worthwhile. They have a wealth of knowledge and some great ideas. Highly recommended.

All I have to do now is put all back together again.

Hopefully be at Silverstone!
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

That does look gorgeous. I do hope you manage to get it to Silverstone. :P
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
Cotton Mouth
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Cotton Mouth »

What a superb car. Very well done.
andyg
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by andyg »

Thanks for the comments guys.
Still trying to resolve a problem with my air filter/bonnet clearance. Intake and manifold changed but still touches bonnet at extreme edge. Think its because I have had the underside of bonnet skimmed and smoothed then painted.
Still hoping to make Silverstone though.

Andy
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

andyg wrote:Thanks for the comments guys.
Still trying to resolve a problem with my air filter/bonnet clearance. Intake and manifold changed but still touches bonnet at extreme edge. Think its because I have had the underside of bonnet skimmed and smoothed then painted.
Still hoping to make Silverstone though.

Andy
What are you using? The Edelbrock Performer 289 is the absolute lowest intake manifold, and the carbs are mostly the same. Either Edelbrock or Holley, with no spacer should be OK. The period-correct 14" air filter with Ford blue base and chrome top will fit fine.
This lot should leave you with around ½"-¾" clearance at both sides, which is where the bonnet gets closest. I'd have thought sanding it smooth would give you more clearance, not less...
Use the standard hotrodder's measure. 4 little cones of plasticine on the compass points of the air cleaner, close the bonnet on them, see how much they squash down - I get decent clearance, as above.
Karl

Post by Karl »

Hello Andy, I am with you on this one. As you can see on picture one , this is what I am using at the moment. It did not work out without modifications to the carb and filter. As you can see on picture two it fits, just! I now found a 11" K&N unit (pic 3) which will probably fit okay when we have fabricated a special new baseplate.
That has to wait until my brother is back from the LE Mans 24 hours next Monday. I still don`t understand how people can fit 14" filters with a half decent intake manifold! I have a medium rise air gap manifoldand a Holley 600cfm.
Regards Karl
I just wanted to upload the pic`s, but it tells me the board attachment quota is reached.
I will open a new post with the pictures.
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Karl wrote:I still don`t understand how people can fit 14" filters with a half decent intake manifold! I have a medium rise air gap manifoldand a Holley 600cfm.
Well, there's nothing wrong with the Performer 289! Why do you feel the need for a medium riser? The clue to why it won't fit is in the name....
andyg
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by andyg »

Initially using Performer RPM. Now changed for standard performer and period correct (1965'ish Mustang filter). I believe this is used by Clive and Roger. Still hits bonnet. Not sure how FIA bonnet is made, because one side is clear by at least 1/4" and other side touching. Feel it is a standard 289 bonnet with a hole cut and scoop molded in. In doing so it might be possible that the bonnet flexes? Or the bonding for the scoop is thicker on one side. There is a solution there somewhere, I just need to find it!

Andy