Proving date of Manufacture technically ?

For Sale and Wanted Section
rowlyk

Proving date of Manufacture technically ?

Post by rowlyk »

Selling made difficult!

So my Early BRA 289 has received several inquiries for sale. 3 of the 4 most likely from people in France and Germany.

All of the 'export' inquiries fall in the category of how to register in Europe after purchase....

I purchased the Car in 2003 and have a history from the previous owner going back to 1992 (when they purchased the car) unfortunately there is no papers before this time that have yet been tracked down.

Ideally I would hope to reunite the car with its former documents that include an original Bill of Sale for the Kit from about 1982....... The Car shows a BRA Car number of 82007V. Did anybody here own this example in the past?

Alternatively I understand that BRA made a number of improvements over time to the kit, and it would be very helpful if anybody has a document that may support this? For example my peddles are floor mounted, i understand this was later changed, is there any technical note with a date to state when this changed for example?

Alternatively does anybody own a 1982 BRA and has a copy of the original receipt showing their car number, that could be used to place the kit between 2 dates? i.e Car 82005 was from March for example, Car 82009 was from September 1982?

It seems technically I just need to demonstrate the conversion/ Kit is Over 30 years old, with some form of document set to support that. In that event the car will get to make a much shorter trip to Le mans in the coming years.....

This must be a common issue for many owners of early cars, and perhaps could benefit the cause to have a central store for these types of documents?
David Large

Re: Proving date of Manufacture technically ?

Post by David Large »

Hi,

I have already responded to a French guy who is interested in your car.

I know, from a brochure that I have, that BRA was formed in 1981so a 1982 car is quite possible. I do not however recognise the style of car number you quote eg 82007V. My kit was purchased in 1985 and has a completely different number format eg BRA289XXXX.
My car has floor mounted brake and clutch pedals.

I don't know if John Berry or Peter Ibbotson would be able to help, I have not seen either of them for several years. The other outside chance is that Gerry Hawkridge might be able to advise you, he was a Director of BRA in 1985 and developed the BRA 427.

regards

David
David Large
Bald surfer with a BRA 289, Porsche 968 Coupe and a Radical PR6!
David Large

Post by David Large »

I note that Hallmark have a 1982 BRA car for sale at the monment "complete with a bill of sale from the factory".

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/list//BRA%20289/

Give them a ring and see if they can offer any assistance?

David
David Large
Bald surfer with a BRA 289, Porsche 968 Coupe and a Radical PR6!
rowlyk

Post by rowlyk »

Hi David,

Thank you for the suggestions, much appreciated. I believe my eager Buyer has discussed some points over the last days with Gerry, who unfortunately has not managed to throw too much light on the subject on this occasion. 1982 was some time ago now unfortunately and it seems there were very few documents to track such developments and however useful Memory of the time is not sufficient to convince the Authorities....