4pot calipers

For Sale and Wanted Section
Karl

4pot calipers

Post by Karl »

Has somebody still some princess / SD1 four pot calipers (also in need of repair) sitting on the shelf? (To convert MGB V8 to vented disc brakes)
Regards Karl
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Re: 4pot calipers

Post by amulheirn »

Can't help there unfortunately - been looking for some myself. They come up occasionally on the bay, but each auction ends at an unreasonable price.

When I get to the stage of needing brakes, I thought about getting these: http://www.hispecbrake.co.uk/B4PRIN.html

Apparently they're a modern version of the princess 4-pot, without the need to have the short pipe linking the two halves of the caliper - and lighter of course. I wondered if anyone else had used these.

Andrew
David Large

Post by David Large »

To go with my Princess front brakes I have Hispec calipers on the back of my BRA, complete with handbrake control as well. They are very good calipers.

David
David Large
Bald surfer with a BRA 289, Porsche 968 Coupe and a Radical PR6!
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

David Large wrote:To go with my Princess front brakes I have Hispec calipers on the back of my BRA, complete with handbrake control as well. They are very good calipers.

David
Ah - good to know - thanks David...
Andrew
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

I think Dave Brookes at DB Replicas uses them on his aluminium bodied Cobra replicas and I believe he's happy with them, although he probably hasn't actually tried them on the road yet. :)

Paul
Karl

Post by Karl »

Thanks, gents, for the replies. I have Hi spec calipers on my Hawk also and they are still working well after seven years. My sons B V8 is on historic plates here in Germany, that means it is not so easy to change from solid to vented discs as the car never had vented discs in period. But you could perhaps explain the RV8 had vented discs. So now if you also come with modern aluminium four pot calipers the TUEV engineer may be tempted to take the historic status away from the car. You are still living in car paradise over there! Things are much more difficult on the continent.
Regards Karl
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

Ah, I see! The TUV check is stricter than I realised.

Ebay has these at the moment: http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 1382873150 but I imagine they will end up quite expensive by the end of the auction

Good luck...

Andrew
Karl

Post by Karl »

Thanks Andrew, will try! They look so much more "period"
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Annoying, really - I used to have 5 or 6 sets but sold them all when the Hawk went.
I actually bought a complete and running 30,000 mile '82 Princess a few years back just for the front calipers.
Bought it in Luton having promised to send photos to the young Indian guy I bought it off once I'd finished restoring it, took it to my local scrappie, removed the front calipers and last saw it rolling down a hill towards a pile of other quality British motor industry products.
I was tempted to send a photo of a crumpled steel cube but that would have been cruel. Still not bad for £60, though, even if it didn't have an MOT.
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

Hope you had some luck Karl. I just saw these on ebay too. They're just quite expensive unless you have an old pair to trade in:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Austin-Prince ... 6016.l4276

Bigg Red seem to be quite reputable.