427 for sale

For Sale and Wanted Section
Marsh

427 for sale

Post by Marsh »

Dear all,

It is with great regret that I wrote this post. After a year of owning perhaps the best car I've ever had the privilege of driving, my Cobra is for sale.

It started life as an AK 427 bodied car, but has been considerably developed over the last few years into a very period looking car and is quite possibly one of the most authentic 'glass bodied cars on the market today. The car has recently been repainted in Silver Frost and is immaculate. the pin drive Hallibrands have been refinished in satin black and rides on period Avon tyres. The car is now registered on a correct 1966 Surrey plate, on new old stock cast digits, as per original.

Originally built by an obsessive engineer back in 2009, there are bills for over £30k at the time of build and a further £15k has been invested in the last year to bring the car up to the standard it is today. The car is powered by a stroked Ford 351W, which now has a capacity of 393 CI, with dyno sheets showing peak power of 485hp, though I'd suggest this is now closer to 450hp following a change of carb. Acceleration is suitably vivid, but the car is tractable and civilised and has been absolutely reliable, completing 400 miles down to Goodwood without incident.

The car will be marketed by Richard Hodson Cars, who maintain it, but if you're genuinely interested in a car that looks, goes, feels and smells like a Thames Ditton original, then please PM me as you'll save yourself their handling fee. Asking price from me directly is £45,995, which is pretty firm.

I'm selling the car because Mrs M absolutely hates it, so it's become a solitary toy. If the car doesn't sell, I'll be secretly pleased, as I know that it will be 'one that got away' and I'll regret it's passing into the hands of someone else.
427 'side oiler' in 1965 Street trim
agnoraan

Re: 427 for sale

Post by agnoraan »

Hi Lee, I know that you've probably had a really hard time coming to this decision, especially after all of the time & money you've put into the car to get it just so. Is there a definitive reason why Mrs M doesn't like it that can be changed? It's easy for us to say "don't sell it you'll regret it" etc, but unfortunately, it is very true. Once it's gone you'll never be able to re capture what you have now & every car that you own from this point in, will be compared to that one. Over the years I've owned numerous, desirable cars, yet I've never been able to equal "the one that got away". All the cars I've had are compared against it & no matter how hard I've tried, I can never replicate the feelings & emotions of owning that car, it's gone & will never be repeated

Does Mrs M want you to sell it, or is it that you feel it's the right thing to do? If she's happy for you to keep it & can afford to do so, then think long & hard about the decision to sell it. Selling something because you feel that you ought to, isn't always the right thing to do in the long term.

cheers...Nige
catsx11

Post by catsx11 »

Last edited by catsx11 on Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marsh

Post by Marsh »

I Know, Alan, I know...

Yes, price is inclusive of dirt and I will NOT be cleaning it in advance of any viewings.

If people want shiny, striped, blinged up silhouettes, they can look elsewhere...

On a serious note, I am completely gutted and I have agonised over the last few months - Nige is quite right in everything he says, but...

Lee
Colin Newbold

Post by Colin Newbold »

I too am shocked to read your news Lee, but I truly admire you for putting your relationship with your wife before your relationship with your Cobra :wink:

I was already on my 4th Cobra, a BRA 289, when I met Nicky and I was very up front about my OCD. 5 more Cobras down the line and its getting more difficult to get her to enjoy Cobras with each passing year, but then she'll tell you that's because I drive it like its stolen. And the Kirkham is her favourite so that helps.

I do hope that we won't lose you from the forum, and would still enjoy hooking up with you at classic car events.

Colin
"How you see yourself is all very well, but it's how others see you that will determine the results you get as a leader!"
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

:cry:

I`ll be Your 'Uncle', Lee. :wink:
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

nikbj68 wrote::cry:

Lee, avoid this man at all costs. He is on several registers already, and any contact should be fully supervised.

Really bad news. I hope a sensible and mutually-acceptable answer can be found - marital happiness works both ways. Install a really good heater and an ipod connection for headphones as a starting point. I find a lavish compensatory shoe-shopping trip can work wonders, too.*

*and before any other smartarse jumps in, after this you can go shoe-shopping for your wife, too.
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

Roger... you forgot to include a 'winkey smiley' in your defamatory comment... :shock:
there are other smileys too, but I find the winkey quite useful from time to time. :oops:
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

nikbj68 wrote:Roger... you forgot to include a 'winkey smiley' in your defamatory comment... :shock:
there are other smileys too, but I find the winkey quite useful from time to time. :oops:
Um... forgot... oh yes, so I did. As for the second part of your statement, you're not making it any easier for yourself, you know...

Actually I have never, ever, used any kind of emoticon in any posting on any forum (a tenner to anyone who can find one I've posted). Or in a text message, come to that. I consider myself too old for such things, which were not taught as part of grammar lessons when I were at school. You have to listen for the irony in my typing instead.
Marsh

Post by Marsh »

Roger King wrote:
nikbj68 wrote::cry:

Lee, avoid this man at all costs. He is on several registers already, and any contact should be fully supervised.

Really bad news. I hope a sensible and mutually-acceptable answer can be found - marital happiness works both ways. Install a really good heater and an ipod connection for headphones as a starting point. I find a lavish compensatory shoe-shopping trip can work wonders, too.*

*and before any other smartarse jumps in, after this you can go shoe-shopping for your wife, too.
I'm calling Ester Rantzen as we speak!

Thanks Roger - shoes have already been purchased, plus a Mulberry handbag, but alas to no avail....

Update to follow as soon as I have one, or not!

Lee