My Baby has gone!!

For Sale and Wanted Section
v8bassman

My Baby has gone!!

Post by v8bassman »

After agonising for some time over whether to keep the 289 or pass it on to someone who will make better use of it, I finally decided to let it go. The new owner collected it today and as he drove away I have to admit to having quite a lump in my throat :(

Although I am still looking for another project I will miss the 289 and the fun I had driving it. Also the times Janette and I have had meeting up with you guys at various events and I would like to thank everyone who gave their invaluable advice and assistance both during and after my build.

Hope to see some of you at Classic Silverstone in July.

Kind Regards,
Dave Pollard
Roger King

Re: My Baby has gone!!

Post by Roger King »

My thoughts are with you Dave.
I cried my eyes out when my Hawk left the premises - I'd driven it around Spain, France several times, even taken it to Rome. Lots of wonderful memories. You just have to think of where the next one's going to take you...
...if it ever gets an exhaust system, that is
Old Boy Racer

Post by Old Boy Racer »

Dave - sad as it may be to see it go, you did at least have the pleasure of owning it. I'm hoping I can keep mine long enough to see one of my grandkids drive it - oldest is 9 - but who knows. Are you looking out for anything specific or just another project.

Robin
v8bassman

Post by v8bassman »

Robin,

I'm trying hard not to give in to the urge to fill the empty space in the garage and wait until I'm sure what I really want to go for. I like the idea of a classic motorbike or two but as with most things 'classic' these days, asking prices are going through the roof. Having said that I've just been to see a friend of mine who is currently restoring an MGCGT with a view to selling it on. He's making a very nice job of it too so I could be tempted :o .

Dave
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

What do you fancy on the classic bike front?

Paul
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

v8bassman wrote:Robin,

I'm trying hard not to give in to the urge to fill the empty space in the garage and wait until I'm sure what I really want to go for. I like the idea of a classic motorbike or two but as with most things 'classic' these days, asking prices are going through the roof. Having said that I've just been to see a friend of mine who is currently restoring an MGCGT with a view to selling it on. He's making a very nice job of it too so I could be tempted :o .

Dave
Dave, test drive one first. Not my cup of tea, but each to his or her own...
v8bassman

Post by v8bassman »

Hi Paul,
I like the idea of an early 60s Café Racer type, maybe a Triton. Something like this: http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C556341
Dave
Dave
1965 Mustang Fastback
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

I like the idea of a Triton, but for me it would have to be a wide-line featherbed with a "Bonneville" twin rather than the triple. For the ultimate cafe racer, how about this one: 8)

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C613821

I'm seriously considering getting a JMC engine for my Comet as it's probably the cheapest way to get a Vincent Twin these days.

Dingocooke on the CRC forum has an Egli Vincent, which is stunning.

Paul
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

That is just beautiful. How on earth do you build something like that from scratch for that price? How 'creative' do you need to be to register it?
Love the instruments. Hope they're chronometric.
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

I'm pretty sure the speedo is the 5" unit from a Vincent Black Shadow, with a new logo on the face and yes, it is chronometric. :)

The engine is around the £20k mark on it's own in new parts.

This is the JMC website and also shows their Egli Vincents, which are gorgeous. :shock:

http://www.jmcclassics.com/jmcegli.htm

Paul