AC boot badges

For Sale and Wanted Section
agnoraan

Re: AC boot badges

Post by agnoraan »

Tech question here, at what point does it start to curve away & by how much, I had assumed that it was at the ends of the dash, a few inches past the steering wheel & just past the outer edge of the glove box door. Paul, I think you're right about the labels on that dash, but I recall a lot of the race cars back in the '60's (showing my age now lol) used to use the Dymo labelling for switches. I felt that the "crudeness" of it adds to the old time feel tbh :wink: :lol:

Dymo looks positively "dead posh" in respect to this one :lol: :lol:

cheers..Nige
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

I agree about the tape. All the racing cars I used to ogle over in the sixties were covered in the stuff, often with interesting spelling mistakes. Nearly always red Dymo tape.

Nige, these may help a bit with the dash:

Tidy worker, aren't I?
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

And here was me thinking you'd be a scrupulously tidy worker. :)

Paul
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

Thanks Rog, that helps a lot. Just how far off centre are the gauges and drop section situated? I've looked on the 'net but not been able to find any dimensions for that.
cheers..Nige
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Well, the gauge holes are not where Kirkham think they are! Minor (ha!) tweak needed:

Pretty sure the drop-down section is central.
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

Thanks Rog, for some reason which could be a senior moment, I thought that I'd read somewhere that the drop section was originally off centre to the car and that Tom Kirkham had contacted Lynn Park who confirmed this to be the case. I know you know about these things, but is the dash in Lynn Parks "Dirtbag" car correct, as it does seem to be off centre to the drivers side?

EDIT, just found it here's the link @ post #18, is this right or another internet myth??

http://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-factory ... -dash.html

cheers...NIge
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Quite right - more memory fade.
The flat base of the drop-down section is 7" long, and is positioned with 5 1/2" to the right of centre and 1 1/2" to the left of centre (for RHD). This is the flat section, not allowing for any curves, which I guess were pretty variable from car to car.
Interestingly, the top centre mounting screw for dash to tubular frame is not quite central, whereas the mirror mount is.

Roger

edit - do you mean post #19, about the offset being due to RHD? Don't think that's right, as Mr Park's car clearly has the 'chin' (??!!!) offset to the left, whereas UK cars have them offset to the right.
The first dash shown in that thread is a nice job, but quite far removed from original. The curved side sections extend too far forward, and the curved top surface is not the right profile. Also there's some duff info on glove box doors there. I have several photos of a dismantled original door, which was most definitely made of 1/4" birch plywood, covered with cotton wadding (NO padding on the dash itself) and covered with split leather of a grain now unobtainable - the Hurlocks refused to deal with Connolly so had an unusual grain from another supplier, identity unknown. Glove box latch now available from AH Spares, and the latch tang just engaged on the return edge of the glovebox hole, including the leather covering.
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

Roger King wrote:Interestingly, the top centre mounting screw for dash to tubular frame is not quite central, whereas the mirror mount is.
Interestingly, on a 427, it's the opposite way round. The fixing is central or as near as I can tell, but the mirror fixing is offsite towards the passenger by around 1½" from memory.

Paul
Migge

Post by Migge »

They are all a bit different, regarding who made them in the 1962,1963 or 1964

Special customized BRA289
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

Here ya go Paul, you said you wanted to see a bit more of the Viper, here it is with a few bits of aluminium trial fitted in the form of brake ducts, lower oil cooler & inside the grille opening. Once it's painted I can rivet/bond it all together

cheers..Nige