AC boot badges

For Sale and Wanted Section
agnoraan

AC boot badges

Post by agnoraan »

I've taken a cast from an original AC boot badge (Thanks Nik) & I'm going to have one cast in aluminium which can be polished. Before I place the order is anyone else possibly interested in having one made? As soon as I have a price I'll let you know, but just testing the water at the moment as the more that are ordered the cheaper they become. I've had stuff cast like this before & the quality is excellent.

I made this Model A hot rod dash as a former from MDF

& he cast this up in aluminium, which was then polished & painted

If anyones interested at this stage just let me know

cheers...Nige
Roger King

Re: AC boot badges

Post by Roger King »

Nige, why would you not want to use the readily-available chrome variety?
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

Roger King wrote:Nige, why would you not want to use the readily-available chrome variety?
Hi Rog, to my mind, the reproduction parts look like reproduction parts & don't have the beveled edge on them as per the original one that Nik lent me to take a cast from. The other plus side is that I can get these cast for less than importing one, but the main thing is that I like making things rather than just buying them. :wink:
cheers...Nige
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

agnoraan wrote:
Roger King wrote:Nige, why would you not want to use the readily-available chrome variety?
Hi Rog, to my mind, the reproduction parts look like reproduction parts & don't have the beveled edge on them as per the original one that Nik lent me to take a cast from. The other plus side is that I can get these cast for less than importing one, but the main thing is that I like making things rather than just buying them. :wink:
cheers...Nige
I wasn't aware there was a difference, you live and learn! Had a close look at the pitted old one on the boot of John Haynes' battered old Cobra in the museum, and it looked exactly like mine - I guess it could have been replaced, but must have been a good while ago by the look of it.

But reason three is the best of all and justifies everything, in my opinion.

Roger
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

Hi Rog, here's the Finishline repro badge, the edge/sides of which are almost 90deg to the face of it.

And here's one of my first attempts of casting a fibreglass/resin badge from Niks original, to use as a mould for the ali version. Notice that this badge has an angular beveled edge of around 45 deg, that runs around the whole perimeter of the badge. Not the clearest of photos unfortunately, but you can see how pronounced it is at the top of the "C"

cheers..Nige
catsx11

Post by catsx11 »

Last edited by catsx11 on Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

catsx11 wrote:Nige, you'll be parking right up there with the originals…
ACOC will be waiving you in... :shock:
:lol: Alan, I don't think that will ever happen, even if I had my ACOC badge on the car as well :wink: . I'd see it as a bonus if my car were to be accepted by the 289 Register, but after all, it is just a cut about 427 Viper that wants to look something like a 289 :wink:

For those that don't know, this car was bought to have some fun with whilst I build the "insanity" aluminium bodied car, so at least I won't go stir crazy over the next couple of years without a toy on the road.

As it was when I bought it

Early stages of chopping it into a 289

New arches almost finished, they even have a wired edge :wink: :lol:

cheers,...Nige
catsx11

Post by catsx11 »

Last edited by catsx11 on Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

Hi Nige - Please count me as an interested party!

Cheers,

Andy
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

amulheirn wrote:Hi Nige - Please count me as an interested party!

Cheers,

Andy
As soon as I get a price I'll let you know, the guy that casts them's on hols at the moment

cheers..Nige