Cobra jacket for sale

For Sale and Wanted Section
Paul Blore

Re: Cobra jacket for sale

Post by Paul Blore »

Nik,
Do you know for sure that the originals had embroidered COBRA text on the back? If the originals had been, it would have been easier for them to have recreated that on these copies, rather than the complication of cutting out letters and then quilting and sewing them on.
Paul
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

Grrrr.... I`m not sure now.... I know the current shirt stitching of the 'COBRA' is very different to the original embroidered ones, but I can`t find my old photos and the ones on the net I`ve found aren`t helping!
Here`s a good one of a shirt, the best I could find of a jacket, and my 'new' ones':

Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

That's why I suspected the original jackets weren't embroidered. The technology didn't exist to produce really good quality embroidered logos. The one on the shirt almost looks like it was done by hand i.e. using a sewing machine, but guided by hand around a template.
The picture of the old jacket looks the same as the modern reproductions to me.

You'd think there was a "correct" font for the COBRA text, but of those four examples in your pictures, they're all different. The new jacket is even different to the original, which is disappointing, given how easy it is these days to get the correct font. I believe that the "correct" character font is Microgramma. I have a copy if anyone wants it for Windows.

Paul
Last edited by Paul Blore on Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Migge

Post by Migge »

Not a jacket but an interesting shirt:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Ford-Sh ... 2ca1d6656d

He has some other parts
Special customized BRA289