BRA 289

For Sale and Wanted Section
Old Boy Racer

Re: BRA 289

Post by Old Boy Racer »

Great to see you both as well and as much as I'd like something green and nimble I fear I may have done a deal on something green and not so nimble. Call me old fashioned (you're old fashioned) but I'll wait a bit longer to make sure things are properly sorted before I own up.

Robin
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

Only just picked this up. All the best with the new project and don't be a stranger!

Post by PeterT »

I see my old BRA 289 is up for sale again at the Silverstone Auctions today. I miss it like hell but have not got the wherewithal, a word which encompasses many things but especially relevant is,interestingly,not my bank manager but "my wife's permission". She has taken to the MGC Sebring,which is missing the two extra cylinders which have transformed Roger's life,but much prefers the hood and wind-up windows. Today 3 brand new Weber 45DCOE carbs arrived by post from Aldons, next week the engine comes out and is returned to John Chatham where a complete rebuild has been booked. Hopefully by the Spring next year I might have a vehicle which is quick, competitive,reliable and in which my wife will accompany me on classic tours. However it will never be a match for that BRA 289 on which I lavished so much care. The difference between a love-match and a marriage of convenience I suppose. Hey ho.

PeterT
Phil Riley

Post by Phil Riley »

Old Boy Racer wrote: ...something green and not so nimble...
Hmmmm... Sherman tank?
David Large

Post by David Large »

PeterT wrote:I see my old BRA 289 is up for sale again at the Silverstone Auctions today. I miss it like hell but have not got the wherewithal, a word which encompasses many things but especially relevant is,interestingly,not my bank manager but "my wife's permission". She has taken to the MGC Sebring,which is missing the two extra cylinders which have transformed Roger's life,but much prefers the hood and wind-up windows. Today 3 brand new Weber 45DCOE carbs arrived by post from Aldons, next week the engine comes out and is returned to John Chatham where a complete rebuild has been booked. Hopefully by the Spring next year I might have a vehicle which is quick, competitive,reliable and in which my wife will accompany me on classic tours. However it will never be a match for that BRA 289 on which I lavished so much care. The difference between a love-match and a marriage of convenience I suppose. Hey ho.

PeterT
I was at the Classic car auction and saw "your" car Peter. It looked good but the bidding did not reach the reserve.

regrds

David
David Large
Bald surfer with a BRA 289, Porsche 968 Coupe and a Radical PR6!
Old Boy Racer

Post by Old Boy Racer »

Peter - so pleased that Ali likes the car in which you can now both enjoy classic motoring. I know what you mean about Snr Mgt after having a number of post-BRA options immediately dismissed by mine. Apparently GT40s are ugly, Mustangs are barges and DBR1s too expensive. That last one hurt. If all goes well, then pretty soon I'll have something she does approve of.

Phil - mmm. Closer than you might think.

Robin
catsx11

Post by catsx11 »

Last edited by catsx11 on Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old Boy Racer

Post by Old Boy Racer »

Alan - I can see where you are going but it's not a military vehicle and has a US rather than Rover (well ok originally US) 260cu in engine with the extra 2 cylinders missing from Peter's Sebring. Hopefully only a couple of days more now.

Robin
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Old Boy Racer wrote:...Mustangs are barges...
Steady, she'll have my wife to answer to if she adopts that attitude... mine is definitely a non-barge. I accept it may not be a precision tool, but a barge...
How odd. An other half who doesn't like heating and a/c superior to a modern BMW*, huge amounts of legroom, luggage space etc.

*OK, that bit's not exactly standard for '68, but true
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Old Boy Racer wrote:Alan - I can see where you are going but it's not a military vehicle and has a US rather than Rover (well ok originally US) 260cu in engine with the extra 2 cylinders missing from Peter's Sebring. Hopefully only a couple of days more now.

Robin
I have a feeling that as the 'barge' remark, however ill-informed (poorly you have taught her, master), must rule out Falcon, Galaxie, Fairlane etc. we are talking a bouncing MkI Winnie-the-Pooh feline here. Good luck changing the spark plugs, old boy - put aside a weekend.... and make sure the weird little ally casting that allows the bottom hose to pass under the steering rack is OK, they're NLA. As is (or at least was) the steering rack.