Slabside Wanted - US / Left hand drive

For Sale and Wanted Section
catsx11

Post by catsx11 »

Last edited by catsx11 on Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roger King

Re: Slabside Wanted - US / Left hand drive

Post by Roger King »

Yes, I'd want money off for the vandalised glove box lid...
66gtk

Post by 66gtk »

Thanks Roger!

I'm guessing this one suffers the same fate? I'm told it has a T-5. It used to have a toploader with a different shifter, but this is the same hole.
http://risingstarsphotography.pixieset. ... QxMzA5MTE/
http://risingstarsphotography.pixieset. ... Nzk4OTM4NA
Dave Woodward
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Dave Woodward »

DaleB wrote:
philriley427 wrote:Hmm, for that kind of money, the detailing could be a bit better.
I thought it was about the right dealer price seeing as it has a 289 and considering the £50000 being asked for as a private sale with a 302 engine. Need to bin that servo though
If thats how you feel Dale, you can have mine :)

Post by Roger King »

66gtk wrote:Thanks Roger!

I'm guessing this one suffers the same fate? I'm told it has a T-5. It used to have a toploader with a different shifter, but this is the same hole.
http://risingstarsphotography.pixieset. ... QxMzA5MTE/
http://risingstarsphotography.pixieset. ... Nzk4OTM4NA
Hard to say from the photo angles - that one doesn't look so bad, fairly typical T5 position (although you can change the position on the T5, I think). I'm sure the position of the hole on the first red car you linked to was further back. Definitely further back than the hole on my Hawk was. If you'd fitted that stick on my Hawk the ball would be under the dash.
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

Roger King wrote:Hi Troy,
No - that shifter is like that because it comes through the tunnel way too far back, probably near the driver's shoulder. Mustang tail casings on toploaders are completely different from Cobra ones and place the shifter further back. The ball on the end of the stick should be pretty much where the ball is in this car, but the stick should be short and straight up, no curve at all, and certainly not stepped back as much as this one is. The change action must be really weird on this car.
The only ones I've found for toploader that work for a Cobra are either David Kee's special Cobra tail casing, and I've given up trying to contact him for orders, or Sunbeam Tiger casings which work nicely but are not common. With a T5 5-speed you should be able to get the shifter in the right place, but for this car that must mean a new gearbox is needed or they would have it in the right place already. Note with a toploader if you change the tail casing you would have to change the output shaft as well, not entirely straightforward as you have to know what parts you would need.
Therefore, as far as I know, the only gearboxes for a Ford engine that would put the gearlever in the correct place are:
Borg-Warner T10L (available to special order, incredibly expensive)
Sunbeam Tiger (HEH-E) toploader (close ratio, narrow-pattern mounting to bellhousing, needs a 1" spacer under the trans mount)
Tremec T5 (not quite right position but close enough)
There may well be more, but that's as much as I can tell you.
That's a 427..ish style gear change Roger. They emerge from the tunnel much further back that the 289 and use a reversed Galaxy (I think) gear lever. The change motion isn't actually as odd as you might think, although this one looks a little extreme. The general movement is more up/down than backwards/forwards, but it works fine once you're used to it.

Paul
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Yes, I know - and whilst it's fine on a 427, I wouldn't want one on a 289! Not sure how a reversed Galaxie lever would work, as the reverse lock-out pin wouldn't engage with the shift rod cross-slide. It might be OK with a Hurst shifter mechanism but there's no doubt the nicest action comes from the stock Ford shifter mechanism.
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

You were commenting on the shift action being "really weird" and I was saying that it isn't because it's pretty standard 427 setup. The reverse lockout only pulls a cable, so I can't see why it wouldn't work, and clearly it does. :)

Paul
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Well, the cable pulls up a 'tooth' that sticks out of the base of the gearstick on the driver's side. If the stick were reversed, it would stick out on the passenger's side, thence missing the slot that allows it to engage reverse. But if it's a Hurst mechanism underneath that won't apply.
But it just looks so wrong!!!
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

It's definitely a reversed lever from something. Can the "tooth" be rotated?