Slabside Wanted - US / Left hand drive

For Sale and Wanted Section
66gtk

Slabside Wanted - US / Left hand drive

Post by 66gtk »

Yea, I realize it's a reach to find one through this forum with my specifications, but you never know. If anybody here's of any cars over here available I'm a very interested buyer.

Troy
troy@krugercentral.com
Dale Bowman

Re: Slabside Wanted - US / Left hand drive

Post by Dale Bowman »

There are 3 types of people in this world
Those who can count and those who cant

DB427SC #006, 427 SO, Toploader
1965 Daytona Coupe ~ Sold
Phil Riley

Post by Phil Riley »

Hmm, for that kind of money, the detailing could be a bit better.
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

philriley427 wrote:
Hmm, for that kind of money, the detailing could be a bit better.
Hello, uncle Mustang gearbox....
Dale Bowman

Post by Dale Bowman »

philriley427 wrote:Hmm, for that kind of money, the detailing could be a bit better.
I thought it was about the right dealer price seeing as it has a 289 and considering the £50000 being asked for as a private sale with a 302 engine. Need to bin that servo though
There are 3 types of people in this world
Those who can count and those who cant

DB427SC #006, 427 SO, Toploader
1965 Daytona Coupe ~ Sold
Phil Riley

Post by Phil Riley »

Yes I agree, The servo would definitely have to go – And for a nice road-going 289, I'd get rid of the battery from under the front wing, the 427 style Stellings/Hellings filter, turkey pan, header tank and revetted scoop. The glovebox lock, handbrake, clock, and gearstick/box need looking at. And, are the sills a bit straight and is the engine sitting a little too far back? All things that wouldn't take too long to tweak I guess.
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

I'd be much more concerned about that Mustang gearbox with the ridiculous shifter, personally! Not a quick fix (or a cheap one) at all....

Roger
Phil Riley

Post by Phil Riley »

Shame this one's recently sold. It wold have been perfect!
Only 1,012,000 Euros
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgdA8Cj-KFQ
66gtk

Post by 66gtk »

Thanks for the link. I had no idea Contemporary Classic ever built a slab side! That being said, the price seems outrageous to me. Regarding the shifter comment, what is involved in swapping this to the straight short original style? Wouldn't it simply bolt into the Hurst mechanism?
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Hi Troy,
No - that shifter is like that because it comes through the tunnel way too far back, probably near the driver's shoulder. Mustang tail casings on toploaders are completely different from Cobra ones and place the shifter further back. The ball on the end of the stick should be pretty much where the ball is in this car, but the stick should be short and straight up, no curve at all, and certainly not stepped back as much as this one is. The change action must be really weird on this car.
The only ones I've found for toploader that work for a Cobra are either David Kee's special Cobra tail casing, and I've given up trying to contact him for orders, or Sunbeam Tiger casings which work nicely but are not common. With a T5 5-speed you should be able to get the shifter in the right place, but for this car that must mean a new gearbox is needed or they would have it in the right place already. Note with a toploader if you change the tail casing you would have to change the output shaft as well, not entirely straightforward as you have to know what parts you would need.
Therefore, as far as I know, the only gearboxes for a Ford engine that would put the gearlever in the correct place are:
Borg-Warner T10L (available to special order, incredibly expensive)
Sunbeam Tiger (HEH-E) toploader (close ratio, narrow-pattern mounting to bellhousing, needs a 1" spacer under the trans mount)
Tremec T5 (not quite right position but close enough)
There may well be more, but that's as much as I can tell you.
Last edited by Roger King on Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.