Looking for a Hawk 289/FIA

For Sale and Wanted Section
simonjrwinter

Re: Looking for a Hawk 289/FIA

Post by simonjrwinter »

I could be wrong here,
But I think it MAY have been built SINCE the SVA test was introduced.
If that is indeed the case the builder has clearly tried to circumvent the correct registration process and just bought an MGB logbook. Surely if this is the case it would be fraud? I hope not for the original builders sake, he would be on very dodgy ground.
Simon
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

simonjrwinter wrote:Is it an MGB? No!
MOT testing stations have been told to inform the DVLA and refuse to test cars that clearly aren't what they are described as. I understand the DVLA will then "investigate" (probably means inspect) with a view to withdrawing the V5C.
SVA/IVA has been around many years now, with a long "amnesty" before it was introduced. There is no excuse.
In the past, it has always been at the MOT testers discretion to report a vehicle that is not what it is "described as". There has not been a directive from DVLA that this is currently a part of the MOT. The proposals for a new style "super MOT", which hasn't been ratified as yet, "could" contain elements that would make it compulsory for the MOT tester to confirm whether the identity of a car to be tested is in question, or, if it has been modified from standard.

Nige
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

So....would you take a chance on an "MGB"?
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

That car will never be sold for a price starting with a 2!
I wonder what the costs of 'correcting' the make/model would be, compared to the hit in price that any of us would think reasonable to allow us to do it?
My gut feeling is the dealer would be better off in the long run doing that...
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

simonjrwinter wrote:So....would you take a chance on an "MGB"?
No I wouldn't, but the information that you gave is misleading and incorrect. There is nothing to say that the car will have its V5 "withdrawn this year". There is far too much assumption and scare mongering going on at the moment regarding issues like this. It's important to deal with the facts as they currently are, not what they could be and try to pass that off as being factual

Nige
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

So the person that told me is a liar?
He told me that MOT stations have specifically been told they must NOT test any vehicle that doesn't comply...That's not the case then?
Please let me know as I've heard this from at least two other people.
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

nikbj68 wrote:That car will never be sold for a price starting with a 2!
I wonder what the costs of 'correcting' the make/model would be, compared to the hit in price that any of us would think reasonable to allow us to do it?
My gut feeling is the dealer would be better off in the long run doing that...
There are a lot of difficulties to get this or any other car through IVA retrospectively. For a car to go through IVA, for a home built car it has to be presented for the test by the builder of the car, showing build photos of every stage of its construction, along with receipts/invoices for all the parts used. As this car is already on the road and registered, it would need totally dismantling and rebuilding from scratch. As there are no invoices proving where any of the parts came from, it would probably be registred on a Q after the IVA test. The whole thing could be one massive nightmare and not worth the time, money or effort.

Nige
Last edited by agnoraan on Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

simonjrwinter wrote:So the person that told me is a liar?
He told me that MOT stations have specifically been told they must NOT test any vehicle that doesn't comply...That's not the case then?
Please let me know as I've heard this from at least two other people.

I'm not saying that anyone's a liar, but the facts stated are wrong as they stand currently. At this moment in time, there is nothing in the current MOT test that states a tester is duty bound to notify VOSA regarding incorrect or modified vehicles. I have two very good friends who are MOT testers and they have both confirmed this to be the case. However, as stated above, there are proposals being put through, which if agreed, could ask the tester to confirm that the vehicles identity is correct and that there are no modifications from factory specifications at the time of the MOT.

the check list that the MOT tester works to is here

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... t-vt29.pdf

If the proposals are passed, then this "could" include "is this vehicle modified from standard?"

There is an awful lot of misinformation regarding this subject, which just adds to the confusion of it all.

Nige
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

Ok, I've said this before.
Let's say you were involved in a fatal accident where a child was killed. Would you be happy your insurance company would stand behind your "MGB"?
Would anybody in their right mind take the chance?
Simon
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

agnoraan wrote:
nikbj68 wrote:I wonder ...dealer would be better off in the long run doing that...
There are a lot of difficulties to get this or any other car through IVA retrospectively... As this car is already on the road and registered, it would need totally dismantling and rebuilding from scratch. As there are no invoices proving where any of the parts came from, it would probably be registred on a Q after the IVA test. The whole thing could be one massive nightmare and not worth the time, money or effort. Nige
I hereby retract my former statement!!! :(
simonjrwinter wrote:Ok, I've said this before.
Let's say you were involved in a fatal accident where a child was killed. Would you be happy your insurance company would stand behind your "MGB"?
Would anybody in their right mind take the chance?
Simon
No. Walked away from several potential purchases due to not being correctly registered.
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!