Tools and cabinets

For Sale and Wanted Section
Dave Woodward
T289R Member
T289R Member

Tools and cabinets

Post by Dave Woodward »

Anybody able to recommend a good tool / cabinet combo.

Keen to organise my garage a bit better and have been looking at the Teng tool chests but they are very expensive.

I guess other end of the scale would be Halfords chests etc. Limited tool organisation options and not sure of the build quality.

Cheers.
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Tools and cabinets

Post by clive »

Hi Dave,

Birthday treat is it? I have the Halfords Industrial Tool Cabinet and Chest which is excellent, and if you buy both together it is a good deal. If you search Google you can get a Halfords discount code too. I looked at several, both at Machine Mart and Halfords, and got a great deal.

http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/ ... est-bundle
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
Dave Woodward
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Dave Woodward »

Good to know. Thanks Clive. Will take another look :D
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

I bought the top box of the SGS Engineering 9-drawer 'professional' chest and am very pleased with it. I like the fact it isn't the standard red colour my friends have!

http://www.sgs-engineering.com/garage-e ... -box-chest

It has ball bearing drawers, they're all lined with a foamy insert, all come with labels and it seems well made generally.
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

Dave,

Have you looked in Costco, they have some good cabinets and tool sets at attractive prices?

Paul
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

For general hand tools, Snapon beat everyone else hands down. You want the best quality possible, and a set of 10 flank- drive combination spanners at around £250 is worth every penny when you factor in the lifetime warranty. I chipped a small flake of chrome off a 22-yr-old 15/16" last year and it was replaced immediately foc. It depends how much you use them, of course, but I wouldn't buy anything else for workshop use. Toolkit for the car is a different matter.
Dave Woodward
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Dave Woodward »

Paul Blore wrote:Dave,

Have you looked in Costco, they have some good cabinets and tool sets at attractive prices?

Paul
Are you pulling my leg? Half expecting you to recommend Aldi :wink:

Edit: to be fair, just had a look online and they have some interesting cabinets available.

Post by Dale Bowman »

I seem to remember reading sometime ago that the Halfords professional range of tools are made by the same company that make Snap-on.
They also have a Lifetime guarantee :-). There is always the Snap-on eurotools, which is their less expensive range (no idea how good they are).
Personally, the Halford Pro range are superb quality and can't see any reason to buy anything more expensive at our level of usage.
There are 3 types of people in this world
Those who can count and those who cant

DB427SC #006, 427 SO, Toploader
1965 Daytona Coupe ~ Sold
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Snap-on hand tools are still made in Kenosha, WI - I'd be surprised if Halfords were too, but I don't know. I agree with Dale that it would be difficult to justify the expense for occasional use, but I use mine all the time and am on my local van man's weekly route. A flank drive o/e spanner will shift nuts no other can, and will never round a nut (the clue's in the name!). Techwrench torque wrenches are also great, with their easy setting and proximity indicators. I have never had one go out of tolerance.
Dave Woodward
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Dave Woodward »

I was originally looking at Teng because of the nifty fitted tool 'packs' they do to organise tools and draws. Interestingly nobody else seems to go down that line.