Hawk FIA Coupe at Vintage and Prestige

For Sale and Wanted Section
Colin Newbold

Re: Hawk FIA Coupe at Vintage and Prestige

Post by Colin Newbold »

Marcus sold this car to Alex Buncombe, a pro race driver (he raced one of those woefully inadequate Nissan prototypes in last year's Le Mans 24hrs). I do know that he put a huge amount of money into the car making it look more like an original. It ended up Guardsman Blue, FIA wheels with the right profile tyres and an extensive retrim.

Take away the dealer's margin and you have a £48k car. Sadly, I doubt if the dealer would play along!
"How you see yourself is all very well, but it's how others see you that will determine the results you get as a leader!"
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

I notice that V&P are selling an MGB GT V8 that looks remarkably like a BRA...or is that a BRA that looks like an MGB GT V8?! :shock: SEE HERE!
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
Marsh

Post by Marsh »

Now, don't be cross, but I seem to have acquired a new 'old' car that's not quite a Cobra...

It's a little older, built in 1950, is open topped, has a twin cam, six cylinder 3.4 litre engine and was just too lovely to resist.

Update to follow shortly, but I hope to have it in time for The Revival...

Lee
427 'side oiler' in 1965 Street trim
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

Good grief! :roll:

XK120?
Marsh

Post by Marsh »

Spot on Paul!

It's a combination of heart and head on this purchase really - it'll be a good investment, as it's a very early example that was priced sensibly, but it's also a very usable car that gives me some of the flies in the teeth joy of a Cobra (albeit with a touch less power) AND it'll be approved by others in the Marshall household, given it's a truly beautiful old thing. I've owned a number of older Jaguars, but an XK120 is the zenith for me, outside of the competition cars.

Mind you, the Aston may not be safe, long term if the right Cobra comes up :-)

L
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Marsh wrote:Spot on Paul!

It's a combination of heart and head on this purchase really - it'll be a good investment, as it's a very early example that was priced sensibly, but it's also a very usable car that gives me some of the flies in the teeth joy of a Cobra (albeit with a touch less power) AND it'll be approved by others in the Marshall household, given it's a truly beautiful old thing. I've owned a number of older Jaguars, but an XK120 is the zenith for me, outside of the competition cars.

Mind you, the Aston may not be safe, long term if the right Cobra comes up :-)

L
Great stuff Lee, nice move. If it's early, is it an ally body one? What colour? They did some lovely greys and blues...

Roger
Marsh

Post by Marsh »

Thank you - it's one of the first 400 built - April 1950; so it's steel, rather than alloy and finished in jewelescent Gunmetal, on steel wheels with spats - just how early Xk's should be.

Paint is good, but over 30 years old, so a little cracked in places, but lovely overall and very usable. I don't have to worry about the odd stone chip with this one. Which is nice!

Photo's to follow...

L
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

Sounds lovely, I'll look forward to seeing it.

Paul
peterpjb

Post by peterpjb »

clive wrote:This one?

http://www.classicandsportscar.com/clas ... ns/5234133

Originally yellow and owned by a member of the 289 Register it is a bespoke car with many features not seen on a normal Hawk. Probably better for track use than every day road use.

this car has full FIA race equipment, but in what series does it race? hard to believe that it has FIA HTP papers for historical racing...
chriskcode

Post by chriskcode »

Marsh wrote:Thank you - it's one of the first 400 built - April 1950; so it's steel, rather than alloy and finished in jewelescent Gunmetal, on steel wheels with spats - just how early Xk's should be.

Paint is good, but over 30 years old, so a little cracked in places, but lovely overall and very usable. I don't have to worry about the odd stone chip with this one. Which is nice!

Photo's to follow...

L
Lee,

I will have to see this car, my all time favourite car, great purchase, well done that man.
Chris