FS: ERA FIA with LeMans Hardtop

For Sale and Wanted Section
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: FS: ERA FIA with LeMans Hardtop

Post by peterc »

The current financial turmoil is the guys in the city trying to make a quick million. Buying and selling and taking advantage of both currency fluctuations and share prices. I don't mind so long as they make my portfolio go up not down!
75% of share dealings on Friday were buying!
Note the turmoil started with the Chinese and Far East stock markets selling whilst our stock market was closed.
I think you are right Lee just give it a couple of weeks to calm down.

I guess that you would need to check what is needed to get it registered in the UK with our current system e.g. Would it need an IVA test or any other hurdles.
Peter C
Marsh

Post by Marsh »

I've reached out to Allen to understand how the car is registered, as that may have a big impact on the landed costs once in the UK.
I am given to understand that if the car is titled as over 30 years old (and many Cobra reps are titled as such), then it is not liable for 20% VAT on the purchase price, but just duty of 5%.

However, if the car is identified as being less than 30 years old, then VAT at 20%, plus duty is applicable and the difference between the two is around £12k to me.

I agree with the other esteemed gentlemen on this forum - its a lovely car, with all the right bits and a great period feel, so being a period authentic anorak, I like it very much.

Let's see what transpires.

Lee
427 'side oiler' in 1965 Street trim
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Lee, I think you'd probably need to clarify the IVA position too. Could be tricky to get it through if it proves necessary, as apart from all the IVA tested components you would have to have details of donor, invoices, etc. to register it - and I guess the donor would have to have been registered in the UK? Not sure, may well be wrong, but you would need to know.
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

That very much depends on what it is registered as in the US. Many Cobra replicas in the States are registered as 1960's Cobras, in which case, they'll get a UK registration of the same year when the get here.

Paul
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Paul Blore wrote:That very much depends on what it is registered as in the US. Many Cobra replicas in the States are registered as 1960's Cobras, in which case, they'll get a UK registration of the same year when the get here.

Paul
But registered in the States as what? A Shelby, an AC? I know it's gone quiet at the moment but given recent DVLA activity I wouldn't want to take that punt. Remember Sherwood Restoration's black Hawk 'MG'... If you import a classic Mustang from the US, you need to provide DVLA with evidence of its date. This usually means a title, and a letter from either Ford or the MOCGB verifying its dates (DVLA has a list of recognised owners' clubs). Apparently, they won't even accept a Marti report. If you can't provide such a letter, it's Q-plate time... Lee of all people is not going to accept a Q-plate.
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

They tend to be registered as a "Ford Cobra", which is what they were registered as in period in the US.

The "MG" was an issue because it clearly wasn't an MG. One of our members had exactly the same issue with his when he had to make an insurance claim.

Dale had no problems with his Daytona to my knowledge when he imported that.

Paul
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Probably OK then as long as the DVLA and Roadworthiness Directive do not progress. Just supposing they did (playing devil's advocate on a worse case scenario), if registered as 'historic' (which they would be) and retrospective evidence of age were required it would be impossible to get. The manufacturer (Ford) would not issue such evidence and the only owners' club (ACOC would definitely not be interested!) would be us, T289R, and we are not recognised by DVLA as a historic vehicle club - we are not members of FBHVC and are, in any case, a kit car club as Hawks etc. were not around pre-'74. Cue IVA and 'Q'-plate.
Dale Bowman

Post by Dale Bowman »

From memory the UK registration document asks for Make, Model, year when registered and year of manufacture.

Both the Vehicle registration doc and the title document for the Daytona stated - Spcon Daytona and 1965 in both cases. (plus the List Price when new in 1965). I also got the seller to word the receipt to match, booked all transport with the same names and years, and had a binding tariff made out by Custom and Excise with same details.

It worth getting the seller to send a photo copy of both documents and seeing what's there. That was the way I slept at night .... I also got in touch with both the DVLA & Customs asking if there would be any problems importing a 1965 spcon Daytona. Got a letter from both saying no problem.

Sailed thru the MOT and I was away.

Difficulty MAY be if the title doc has different dates or no date in one of the sections.
There are 3 types of people in this world
Those who can count and those who cant

DB427SC #006, 427 SO, Toploader
1965 Daytona Coupe ~ Sold
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

Roger,
The 289 Register isn't a "kit car club". It is a club for enthusiasts of the 289 Cobra in all of its forms. The vast majority of the members can't afford a genuine 289 Cobra, so they chose to express their enthusiasm by building/driving a replica of the object of their desire, but that doesn't make us a kit car club.
Paul
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Sorry for any misunderstanding, and I should try to make myself clearer: My use of the term 'kit car club' was not in any way meant as derogatory. However, when I joined back in 2000 the Register was very much seen as a club for those with either BRAs or those building 289 Hawks - i.e. kit cars - as opposed to the majority of Cobra 427 replica builders in the CRC. I accept that the club has moved on and is now something different, but not sure I can see it as a classic car club, because the cars aren't old enough... but in my opinion those who build kit cars well are on a different level from the average classic owner, as there is no blueprint to follow and the required levels of problem-solving are far higher.