Raydyot

For Sale and Wanted Section
Paul Blore

Re: Raydyot

Post by Paul Blore »

I rather like the look of the centre Raydyot. But as a device for seeing what's behind me, they're pretty rubbish in my experience.

Paul
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Paul Blore wrote:Roger, you need to go back to your schoolboy physics, moving the mirror further away from the driver would reduce, not increase the field of view. :roll:

However, like you, I also struggle with the logic of fitting a round mirror behind a full screen. But there's no denying that's what they did.

Paul
There's more to life than 'schoolboy physics'! I want to see what's behind me, not a reflection of myself. Further away means a more favourable angle for rearward vision although, in my car, that just means a better view of the filler cap.
Colin Newbold

Post by Colin Newbold »

The way my rear view mirror (standard pillar type) is mounted was copied from the red Swiss registered 289 that Gerry took moulds off, about 10 years ago.

What's neat is that instead of using screws through the ally, I've used longer lift-the-dot bolts straight into tapped holes in the steel tube, through the mirror base. These now retain the tonneau, either side of the zip. I'll get a photo tomorrow.

Colin
"How you see yourself is all very well, but it's how others see you that will determine the results you get as a leader!"
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Original fastening was 2BA screws, raised countersunk slotted head, chrome on brass, going through mirror/ally skin/both sides of steel tube/ally skin, with a chromed 2BA dome nut underneath showing in front of the dash leather. Tonneau was retained by a fabric strap stitched into the zip section, wrapped around the mirror stalk and clipped on to a press stud screwed to the front of the dash tube. The LTD fastener to the left of the mirror shown here is a later addition.