Genuine AC built Cobra for replica money

For Sale and Wanted Section
Paul Blore

Re: Genuine AC built Cobra for replica money

Post by Paul Blore »

Good choice. It's worked for me so far.

BTW, I also have the big tank option on my car, but I can get quite a bit in the boot with selective and careful packing.

Paul
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

My M Coupé has a ridiculously small boot, and equally ridiculously-sized rear wheels compared with the fairly sensible front ones. For this reason it is utterly impossible to carry a spare, so they were supplied by BMW with a can of gloop and a compressor. Doesn't stop us going all over Europe in it...

...no BMW Mini on the planet carries a spare, either. Or my wife's Honda Civic... or my 330 Touring...
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

It's the same with a great many modern cars. I suspect it's to save weight any thereby improve fuel efficiency.....and thereby, save the planet. :wink:
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

COX5012 wrote:... I'm probably going to go with the tyre weld option...
Tesco currently have Holts 400ml cans for £3.50 (half price). :wink:
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Worth noting that Tyreweld (or whatever) usually writes off the tyre, and needs incredibly careful cleaning from the rim as it is extremely corrosive.
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

Roger King wrote:Worth noting that Tyreweld (or whatever) usually writes off the tyre, and needs incredibly careful cleaning from the rim as it is extremely corrosive.
The Holts product can be washed off the inside of the tyre allowing it to be properly repaired. I had a large screw in one of my Cobra tyres while drive to Le Mans one year and the Tyreweld fixed well enough to get to Le Mans, do some steady...ish track laps and then get home again. I them took the wheel to a local tyre depot to have it repaired.
When I later had the tyres removed to fit new Avons, the inside of the repaired tyre was clean and without any evidence of the Tyreweld.

Paul
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Hi guys,
Do I guess that the large fuel tank fills the space that would otherwise be used as the spare wheel well. My 10.5 gall tank is the standard FIA Hawk size and so tend to visit the petrol stn every 150 miles to prevent the risk of running on fumes.
Peter C
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

I'm surprised that you need to refuel every 150 miles Peter, being a Rover engine. I will get over 200 miles per tank from my 302 meaning only one fuel stop from home to Silverstone (That's 100 miles of Scottish A roads averaging around 60 mph then 100+ miles of English motorway averaging about 40 mph!)
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

peterc wrote:Hi guys,
Do I guess that the large fuel tank fills the space that would otherwise be used as the spare wheel well. My 10.5 gall tank is the standard FIA Hawk size and so tend to visit the petrol stn every 150 miles to prevent the risk of running on fumes.
Peter C
Hi Peter,

I don't know what a "big tank" is like on an FIA, but the one I was referring to is my 427 S/C style, which sits under the boot floor, but extends sideways and up into the rear wings. The top of the tank closely follows the shape of the boot floor, which is completely different to a 289.

This my tank before it was installed:

It supposedly holds 42 US gallons.

Paul
COX5012
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by COX5012 »

That looks very similar to my tank, with the spare wheel in the boot I have about 10mm clearance at the back increasing to approx 60mm towards the front, certainly couldn't get any luggage in there. On a different note, what mpg do you get out of your 427?