Genuine AC built Cobra for replica money

For Sale and Wanted Section
Roger King

Re: Genuine AC built Cobra for replica money

Post by Roger King »

Paul Blore wrote:I wouldn't use a roof of any kind on a Cobra, especially on long journeys.

At some point, you're going to get caught in a downpour. The solution is to have appropriate wet weather gear with you. I have a Musto sailing coat that I wear if there is the chance of rain, and I have some water proof over trousers that I keep rolled up behind the seats, just in case

Even with a roof on a Cobra, the water is going to come in, so you may as well be dressed up appropriately, but without a roof, it dries out very quickly.

Paul

Couldn't agree more.
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

nikbj68 wrote:The only place water comes in on mine with the Le Mans top fitted is down the pillars, resulting in a wet knee! Will attack it with some silicone when I get the time.
I`ve been in some proper heavy weather, not just 'April showers', but I do have Duct Tape across the top of the screen like many racers do.
Just don't get a puncture!!!
COX5012
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by COX5012 »

I do have a hood and side screens but can't fit them into my boot with the spare wheel. Do most members travel overseas without a spare wheel and use the space for luggage and hood and hope to avoid a puncture?
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

I don't have a spare...period.

I carry two cans of Holts Tyreweld and fill the boot with luggage and a small toolkit.

Driving long distances in a Cobra, especially in convoy with other Cobras is one of life's great pleasures. 8)

We went to Tuscany last year and we're off to Spain next year. :D

Paul
COX5012
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by COX5012 »

Ok, that's what I'll do then, a couple of cans of tyre weld, some waterproofs and maybe I will be able to join you guys on one of your jaunts one day. Thanks for the helpful advice.
Vince
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

It may depend on the Cobra... mine is absolutely bone stock in the boot department, and I carry a spare (street wire wheel, no big fat stuff), hood and luggage fairly comfortably. Sidescreens live in the elastic 'envelope' behind the seats.
Frankly, if you have FIA wheel sizes, there's not much point in carrying a spare unless your fronts and rears have the same rolling radius. If you put different size wheels on, the rotational speed will be different and you will f**k your LSD.
COX5012
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by COX5012 »

Good point, I do have FIA wheel sizes and the spare is for the front so would be no good at all for the rear. I am going to opt for the true weld option with waterproofs.
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

COX5012 wrote:Good point, I do have FIA wheel sizes and the spare is for the front so would be no good at all for the rear. I am going to opt for the true weld option with waterproofs.
Makes most sense! Sod's law tells you which tyre would puncture if you carried a spare with staggered wheel sizes!
Also, where would you put the flat rim if it was a rear? Wouldn't fit the space left by a front spare, and a bit expensive to leave at the side of the road.
My Mustang has staggered rim widths, but by careful tyre profiling front and rear have the same rolling radius, but I wouldn't want to go far or at any speed with the 'wrong' size on the rear. That car has plenty of room for a spare, though, so it seems reasonable as a 'get you home' measure.
catsx11

Post by catsx11 »

Last edited by catsx11 on Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
COX5012
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by COX5012 »

My car has the 43 gallon fuel tank which leaves just enough room for the spare wheel, a small tool kit and very little else, I certainly can't fit the hood assembly. I think my only options are a Le-mans style roof or the tyre weld and waterproofs. I'm probably going to go with the tyre weld option. I will have to make sure I have overseas breakdown cover in case I do get an un-repairable puncture.