Genuine AC built Cobra for replica money

For Sale and Wanted Section
8secondquarters

Genuine AC built Cobra for replica money

Post by 8secondquarters »

CHASSIS NO: CRS9500EX

AC built prototype for the CRS (Carbon road series) cars

Built as a proof of concept for the for the 37 production cars

Differs from the production cars on that it has a hand laid carbon fiber body, on a LHD MKIV Chassis

A one off piece of AC History can only appreciate in value

£45000 ovno

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zd1a0vfm328ix ... 6.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vb1hyvvflycu7 ... 0.png?dl=0

Steve 07951725622
Last edited by 8secondquarters on Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
Paul Blore

Re: Genuine AC built Cobra for replica money

Post by Paul Blore »

Crikey, this car keeps doing the "for sale" circuit at regular intervals.

I wonder if it is the same person trying to sell, or does someone buy it and then realise that it isn't what they thought it was? :?

Paul
8secondquarters

Hi Paul i have owned her for 3 years

Not sure what you mean by "not what they thought it was" ??

Im a Cobra fan through and through, have owned a BRA 289, built a DAX and a GD, the CRS prototype is as close to a real one as i was ever going to afford, its heritage shines through, the chassis is twin 4inch tube and the rose jointed suspension has very similar geometry to the 427s, the road holding is far better than any replica i have driven, she may not be everyone's cup of tea but it is AC built and ultimately surely a better investment than a replica, it would not be difficult to give the car a more period look if thats what a potential buyer wanted
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

Hi,

I think you misinterpreted my comment, so I apologise if it came across badly.

We have seen a number of adverts for the car over recents years, which lead me to two possible conclusions 1) the car hadn't previously sold and it was the same person advertising it or 2) the car had sold each time and the new owners were quickly selling it on again, which would raise the question, why?

I wasn't casting any aspersions on your car. As you state, it is a genuine AC, so that alone carries some significant merit and value.

Having accepted the fact that it is a genuine AC however, it is interesting that it hasn't previously sold at what appears to be a very reasonable price.

Paul
8secondquarters

I have a long term left knee issue that has left me struggling to drive a manual, yes I have had her up for sale a few times and had some serious offers but when it came to it I couldn't face letting it go, unfortunately my knee problems have worsened and I am now faced with having the joint fused after which there is no chance of using a clutch ever again.
I guess I could investigate hand controls or convert her to an auto but both would probably entail major alterations to what is a one off car
Also can't imagine any insurer being happy about a hand controlled clutch in a Cob !
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

Sorry to hear about your knee problem.
If you enjoy driving it, I'd put an auto box in it in your position. It would be pretty straightforward and completely reversible so it shouldn't impact on the value too much, if at all.
I think I've only seen one other CRS. What engine does it have? Am I right in thinking that the CRS used the Lotus V8? If so, that might complicate the gearbox transplant a little.

Paul
289Glenn
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by 289Glenn »

Hi Steve,

Interesting car. I sent you a PM. Look forward to hearing from you.

Cheers,

Glenn
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

Paul, only 2 AC's had the lotus engine, and we're called the 212SC

I've seen several CRS cars, and I'd really like one in the bare carbon, I think that would look almost as cool as bare Ali!!!
Steve, There is at least one AC MkIV fitted with hand controls, so your clutch leg issue isn't insurmountable, as far as this car goes, I'm really sorry to hear that your knee has worsened to this point.

The CRS & Superblowers are the last of the 'real' bloodline Cobras, it has always puzzled me why they have struggled to match or exceed the price of a decent replica. :?:
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

Thanks Nik. Your post jogged my memory. I recall seeing a 212SC at the LMC some years ago. It was also red, so may even have been the same one.

The Mk.IV Lightweights are okay, but I've never been a fan of the standard Mk.IV's. But there's no getting away from the fact that they're genuine AC's.

Paul