Courtesy Ford dealer emblem

For Sale and Wanted Section
Marsh

Courtesy Ford dealer emblem

Post by Marsh »

I have for sale an original Courtesy Ford dealer emblem from the 'states.

These chromed emblems were fitted to the rear of dealer supplied cars in the 60's; Courtesy Ford were the Shelby appointed dealer for Colorado in period and supplied a number of Cobra's.

In my search for period detail for my upcomimg car, I managed to source two of these very rare emblems; one of which I'm keeping and the other I am happy to pass on to a T289R member.

Measuring around 6 inches in length by 2 inches, this emblem would be attached to your Cobra under the boot, on your rear valance. It's in good, but patinated condition, with bright, straight chrome, but one or two pock marks. Considering that it's over 50 years old, it's in nice, original condition and I wouldn't hesitate to affix it to the back of my car exactly as it stands.

This is a rare, period authentic part and they seldom come up for sale. If you're interested, I can send you an image of the badge. If you have a period correct car, this is a lovely addition. I'm only looking to cover my costs, so would accept £50 plus p and p.

If you're interested, please pm me and I will share an image with you - though can also see an exact same badge on the Shelby site 'thecoralsnake.com' where an example of the badge is also displayed under the 'Shelby dealers' section of the site.

Lee
Last edited by Marsh on Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
427 'side oiler' in 1965 Street trim
Roger King

Re: Courtesy Ford dealer emblem

Post by Roger King »

Lee, I'm confused... you've got a period Surrey plate for your car, but you're adding a US Shelby dealer's badge? Were there many Shelby dealers based in Surrey? Er...
Marsh

Post by Marsh »

Morning Roger

I knew you'd tackle me about this!

Well, I've bought one (two), but I haven't actually decided if I will fit it yet.

Just keeping my options open for the future as there may well be days when I'm feeling more LAX than Thames Ditton and let's face it, who doesn't like to wear a ten gallon hat from time to time?

L
Last edited by Marsh on Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

I guess the story line could be that the car was purchased in the US where they were more readily available and then brought to the UK where it obviously had to be re registered with DVLA.
You would of course need the steering wheel on the LH side to fit in with that.
Peter C
Marsh

Post by Marsh »

peterc wrote:I guess the story line could be that the car was purchased in the US where they were more readily available and then brought to the UK where it obviously had to be re registered with DVLA.
You would of course need the steering wheel on the LH side to fit in with that.
Peter C

That was exactly my thinking Peter! The car is left hand drive...

Now I know this doesn't show me in a good light, but I do find myself thinking up a back story that I'll never tell about a car that wasn't built until 50 years later. Is that just me, or are there others out there who privately do the same?

L
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Mmmm. It wouldn't have been registered in Surrey unless the purchaser happened to live there and used the local DVLA office...
It seems the 'works' cars, competition etc., would have been registered in Surrey. From what I can see, most were registered in London - I guess that's where most of the dealers would have been - but I have seen an original on 'BFL', which is one of my local numbers. The first owner was a US serviceman at a local base (RAF Alconbury), so it was registered in Huntingdon/Peterborough. It really depends where the dealer was situated, not where the car was built, I guess.
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

To my knowledge, all 427 Cobras have CSX chassis numbers, so they were all originally sold via Shelby in the US.

Good to hear that you've gone for LHD Lee.

I was looking at an old Top Gear clip on YouTube recently of Quintin Wilson driving a 427 Cobra (GTM 700F?), which was a road spec car, but with the S/C rear arches and S/C style Halibrands, which looked really nice. I'm really not sure about your idea of going for 7.5" wheels all round. To my eyes, and many others I suspect, the narrow rear wheels just look wrong inside the big wheel arches. Shelby only fitted them because he couldn't get hold of the "correct" size wheels due to supply issues at Halibrand.
I think you'll forever be defending you decision to other people, which may or may not bother you.

Paul
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Paul Blore wrote:...I'm really not sure about your idea of going for 7.5" wheels all round. To my eyes, and many others I suspect, the narrow rear wheels just look wrong inside the big wheel arches. Shelby only fitted them because he couldn't get hold of the "correct" size wheels due to supply issues at Halibrand.
I think you'll forever be defending you decision to other people, which may or may not bother you.

Paul
Yes, but that's how they were, Paul! Knowing Lee, I don't think he will have any qualms about explaining why they are like that!
Marsh

Post by Marsh »

Paul Blore wrote:To my knowledge, all 427 Cobras have CSX chassis numbers, so they were all originally sold via Shelby in the US.

Good to hear that you've gone for LHD Lee.

I was looking at an old Top Gear clip on YouTube recently of Quintin Wilson driving a 427 Cobra (GTM 700F?), which was a road spec car, but with the S/C rear arches and S/C style Halibrands, which looked really nice. I'm really not sure about your idea of going for 7.5" wheels all round. To my eyes, and many others I suspect, the narrow rear wheels just look wrong inside the big wheel arches. Shelby only fitted them because he couldn't get hold of the "correct" size wheels due to supply issues at Halibrand.

Paul
I took your advice on LHD Paul.

GTM was one of John Woolf's cars - he bought two from Ed Freutel (?) I think in '67, GTM700 and 777F, which were legendary 427's.

I take your point on the wheels and it is most certainly a gamble, though I may subsequently invest in a set of 9.5 inch rears too if I've made the wrong decision, or be a real man and invest in some Sunbursts.

Gut feel? I'm going to love explaining why they're so wrong that they're right. You know me - I'm a luddite and I revel in it. :D

L
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Don't forget that when you have decided on your cherished reg number you can get a suitable age related tax disc.
Look up 'poplargreg' and he will sell you a set of three discs ( 2 spare in case of future damage).
You chose which design you need to suit the year of manufacture, the correct issuing office, request the date stamp accordingly together with showing the correct fee for that year. I chose only six months to get the tax to 'expire' in Sept '64 thus indicating the original year the car was supposedly created.
OK so its another little detail possibly seen as silly by some but what the heck.
Peter C