Courtesy Ford dealer emblem

For Sale and Wanted Section
Roger King

Re: Courtesy Ford dealer emblem

Post by Roger King »

peterc wrote:Don't forget that when you have decided on your cherished reg number you can get a suitable age related tax disc.
Look up 'poplargreg' and he will sell you a set of three discs ( 2 spare in case of future damage).
You chose which design you need to suit the year of manufacture, the correct issuing office, request the date stamp accordingly together with showing the correct fee for that year. I chose only six months to get the tax to 'expire' in Sept '64 thus indicating the original year the car was supposedly created.
OK so its another little detail possibly seen as silly by some but what the heck.
Peter C
Silly? Have you forgotten who reads this forum? Really, sir!

Worth a look here for tax disc junkies:

http://www.virtualgaz.com/taxdiscspage.htm

However, it seems your ploy doesn't quite work, Peter. There was a quarterly option up until 1961, when it was dropped due to administrative difficulties and a 4-monthly option introduced. The six-month option only came in in 1981, when the 4-monthly was dropped. You'll have to pretend your car was registered 2 months later!
I've tried a couple of the classic tax disc suppliers, and whilst the standard of the disc is excellent with all the correct chosen details, they don't last long. I put one in the Mustang's (tinted) screen just before we drove to Sicily last year, and admittedly it was sunny but by the time we got home 3 weeks later it was plain white paper! And after I'd spent a not insignificant amount of time stamping all the perforations (including the four long oval ones) around its edge. DVLC discs never faded like that...
I think I may need to check into the clinic again
Marsh

Post by Marsh »

I realise this is going off topic a little...

I've used Greg at Poplar Reg and he's very good value for money, but in my personal experience, Earlswood Reproductions supply the best quality period disks bar none.

Verses others in the market place, they're expensive at £26 a shot, but the quality of the print and indeed the paper used seems to most accurately emulate the originals. You can buy them either as factory fresh disks (i.e. new) or as aged items, with faded ink.

They also fill in the disk for you, populated with the information you supply (and the handwriting is suitably 'period too').

If you're going to do it once, then this is what I would buy - they're correctly perforated as original and you can even choose the geographical location of your post office stamp too...

I know, I know...

L
427 'side oiler' in 1965 Street trim
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Earlswood's are good, and seem to resist fading a bit better - but he only offers December for the expiry month, which is a bit naff especially if you have 4 or 5 cars all sporting old tax discs. Bit of a coincidence that they were all taxed in January that year!
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

Roger King wrote:Yes, but that's how they were, Paul! Knowing Lee, I don't think he will have any qualms about explaining why they are like that!
They were only like that if they had Sunbursts fitted.

Paul
Marsh

Post by Marsh »

Paul Blore wrote:
Roger King wrote:Yes, but that's how they were, Paul! Knowing Lee, I don't think he will have any qualms about explaining why they are like that!
They were only like that if they had Sunbursts fitted.

Paul
Paul is absolutely right with regards to 427 SC's, but original 'Street' specification cars, irrespective of Halibrand wheel type (either the then newly introduced 'Cobra 2' wheels or the soon to be obselete Halibrand FIA) or the Kelsey-Hayes Sunburst were originally specified to have 7.5 inch wheels all round as a standard fitment ex-factory, whereas the S/C's always had wider rear wheels by 2 inches.

Even in period, pretty much everyone upgraded their cars to 9.5 rears as soon as the Halibrand 'Cobra 2' wheels were back in supply in December 1965.

Fast forward 50+ years and now it's very rare to see either 427 variant that haven't had wider wheels fitted to the rear, but the World Registry 4th Edition (page 471) states this was absolutely the case in period, which I guess is why I've gone down this route as I really like that 'Commer van' look as in my mind at least, it looks so very period; and no one ever seems to fit 7.5's all round by choice now, so I thought I would.

What is probably unarguable is that narrow wheels on a 'wide hipped' 427 car do look odd and certainly won't appeal to everyone; in 2017 any more than they did back in 1965.

Let's see how long I last with mine, but I'm thinking that I just might stick with 'em...

L
Last edited by Marsh on Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

Marsh wrote:
Paul Blore wrote:
Roger King wrote:.
Even in period, pretty much everyone upgraded their cars to 9.5's as soon as Halibrand wheels were back in supply in December 1965.

Fast forward 50+ years and now it's very rare to see either 427 variant that haven't had wider wheels fitted to the rear, but the World Registry 4th edition (page 471) says this was absolutely the case in period, which I guess is why I've gone down this route as I like that 'Commer van' look as in my mind at least, it looks so very period; no one ever seems to fit 7.5's all round now.

What is unarguable is that narrow wheels on a 'wide hipped' 427 car do look odd and certainly won't appeal to everyone.

Let's see how long I last with mine...

L
You've hit the nail squarely on the head with that last comment, there's probably a good reason why everyone changed to 9.5's as soon as they came back in supply,.......it's good to be different, but different isn't always good :wink: :P .

Nige
Marsh

Post by Marsh »

agnoraan wrote:
Marsh wrote:
Paul Blore wrote:
Even in period, pretty much everyone upgraded their cars to 9.5's as soon as Halibrand wheels were back in supply in December 1965.

Fast forward 50+ years and now it's very rare to see either 427 variant that haven't had wider wheels fitted to the rear, but the World Registry 4th edition (page 471) says this was absolutely the case in period, which I guess is why I've gone down this route as I like that 'Commer van' look as in my mind at least, it looks so very period; no one ever seems to fit 7.5's all round now.

What is unarguable is that narrow wheels on a 'wide hipped' 427 car do look odd and certainly won't appeal to everyone.

Let's see how long I last with mine...

L
You've hit the nail squarely on the head with that last comment, there's probably a good reason why everyone changed to 9.5's as soon as they came back in supply,.......it's good to be different, but different isn't always good :wink: :P .

Nige
Well, having a spare pair is always good in any event, but if I can get the finish right so they look 1966, then I'm given to think I'd stay 7.5.

I am different (i.e. odd) and I know that!
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

Marsh wrote:
agnoraan wrote:
Marsh wrote:

Nige

I am different (i.e. odd) and I know that!
Lee, it's ok, I was jokingly referring to a different looking car, not yourself hence the smilies, :wink:

Nige
Marsh

Post by Marsh »

Hey Nige

I think the car will suit me well! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Absolutely none taken at all my friend - I walked squarely into that!!

lee
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

I stand corrected Lee. I hadn't realised the road cars were always intended to have 7½" rear wheels. I knew the Sunburst wheel were a substitute due to supply issues at Halibrand, but ironically, the Sunburst wheels were also manufactured by Halibrand I believe, so they ran into the same supply issues again.

Paul