Hawk 289 on eBay

For Sale and Wanted Section
IainS

Re: Hawk 289 on eBay

Post by IainS »

There's confusion here between the two government agencies, VOSA and DVLA, responsible for IVA (road worthiness) and registration respectively. VOSA doesn't care about where the parts come from or how old they are. The only exception is the engine which needs to be dated to know which emissions class it requires for testing purposes and this data is carried forward to DVLA. But that's all.

DVLA will enquire into whether a donor was used and if so how many parts (to determine if either retention of donors registration number, or age related registration apply). This needs consideration before the build is contemplated. Think registration before anything is bought, and think IVA throughout the build.

This looks like a typical Hawk build, it doesn't have the two components from an MGB, but then I don't think this is the first example of this....

Iain
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

IainS wrote:There's confusion here between the two government agencies, VOSA and DVLA, responsible for IVA (road worthiness) and registration respectively. VOSA doesn't care about where the parts come from or how old they are. The only exception is the engine which needs to be dated to know which emissions class it requires for testing purposes and this data is carried forward to DVLA. But that's all.

DVLA will enquire into whether a donor was used and if so how many parts (to determine if either retention of donors registration number, or age related registration apply). This needs consideration before the build is contemplated. Think registration before anything is bought, and think IVA throughout the build.

This looks like a typical Hawk build, it doesn't have the two components from an MGB, but then I don't think this is the first example of this....

Iain
Hi Iain, it's ok, I understand fully the differences between the two government agencies and their respective roles for a car to be tested and registered. There was no mention of VOSA or DVLA in the above posts that I made, it was merely pointing out the requirements as set out in the IVA manual outlining the "major components" required to enable that particular car to comply and the requirements to get the car registered. :wink:

Nige
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

agnoraan wrote:
agnoraan wrote:For IVA purposes, and for it to have an age related plate, it would have to use the engine and transmission as having come from the "donor" .
Hi Paul, I think that you've read this out of context,I wasn't saying that the engine and gearbox HAD to be one of them I was saying that only the engine and box in this case could be used to register the car. :wink:

Nige
Hi Nige,

Thank you for the detailed reply. It is broadly as I understood it and you're quite right, I had read your original comment out of context, so I'm sorry for wasting your time. :oops:

Glad we cleared that one up. :wink: :)

Paul
IainS

Post by IainS »

agnoraan wrote:
IainS wrote:There's confusion here between the two government agencies, VOSA and DVLA, responsible for IVA (road worthiness) and registration respectively. VOSA doesn't care about where the parts come from or how old they are. The only exception is the engine which needs to be dated to know which emissions class it requires for testing purposes and this data is carried forward to DVLA. But that's all.

Iain
Hi Iain, it's ok, I understand fully the differences between the two government agencies and their respective roles for a car to be tested and registered. There was no mention of VOSA or DVLA in the above posts that I made, it was merely pointing out the requirements as set out in the IVA manual outlining the "major components" required to enable that particular car to comply and the requirements to get the car registered. :wink:

Nige

Nige, I'm not aware the IVA manual refers to the use of a donor vehicle or the origin of any components? The Amateur Build declaration that accompanies the IVA application form states that you built the car with evidence you provide, but it doesn't care about the origin of the components used.

The V627 is part of the registration process that accompanies the V55 application to DVLA, this is the first time you need to declare donor parts used.

Many builders hope their car will not be inspected when they apply for registration....there is no link between the detailed inspection carried out at the IVA and the registration process, because IVA does not care about the issues DVLA do care about. I think it's an important distinction, particularly if you wish to apply for age related registration

Iain