Valve covers

For Sale and Wanted Section
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Valve covers

Post by amulheirn »

Apparently original - presumably the 'Buddybar' cast covers? Guessing they're missing the mushroom-shaped breather to permit crank case gases to escape, hence the hole? Again, nothing to do with me - just posting here in case anyone has a wad of cash burning a hole in their pockets!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Original-260- ... SwsW9Yycpa
Marsh

Re: Valve covers

Post by Marsh »

So now we're seeing engine parts that are 'barn find'? Where will it end?

I blame the chickens - they started the trend with 'barn find eggs', or free range as they became more fashionably known...
427 'side oiler' in 1965 Street trim
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Good grief, at that price they can definitely stay on his shelf.
I thought I only paid a 1/10th of that for mine and they came with the breather cap.
If I really wanted the old look I am sure I could create some suitable patina.
Peter C
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Whilst expensive, I don't think the price is excessive. I've never seen a pair of these for sale previously, and they are not reproduced.
You will have paid less for your repro parts because the repros are all wrong for early Cobra! The 260 (and, without checking the literature I think the early 289) motors had the oil filler cap in the timing cover (also not reproduced), not the valve cover, and a 'road draft' crankcase breather which was mounted at the back of the cast-iron intake manifold. Hence the lack of any holes in the original cast aluminium optional extra valve covers.
If anybody does decide to buy these, I just happen to have an original matching 'Cobra' 'powered by Ford' finned cast aluminium sump, which would normally have been fitted with these. It, too, would be very expensive if sold.