Hawk 289

For Sale and Wanted Section
Hamy-hoo
T289R Member
T289R Member

Hawk 289

Post by Hamy-hoo »

Hi everyone,
Does anyone know of a Hawk 289 incomplete build for sale?
I know it's probably like looking for a needle in a haystack but I wanted to ask anyway.
Cheers
Hamy-hoo
simonjrwinter

Re: Hawk 289

Post by simonjrwinter »

Been asking the same myself for many months. Had one that was sold to someone else despite being told I had first refusal, but that was it. You need to be quick if they do come up!
Simon
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.
Hamy-hoo
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Hamy-hoo »

I may break at some point and look at building one from scratch.
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

Just go for the kit, I'd say - it's a piece of cake! ;)

But seriously, if you do get a part-built one, and you're anything like me you'd probably take it to bits again just in case, so you might as well do it all from the beginning yourself I reckon.
Hamy-hoo
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Hamy-hoo »

I've been in touch with Gerry who's given me a price list so I can work out what it might cost. I imagine I probably have to add e.g. 20% contingency to this too?I'd like to put a 289/302 in it so it's as close to the original as possible. I understand you can get new crate motors pretty reasonably from the US.
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Hamy-hoo wrote:I've been in touch with Gerry who's given me a price list so I can work out what it might cost. I imagine I probably have to add e.g. 20% contingency to this too?I'd like to put a 289/302 in it so it's as close to the original as possible. I understand you can get new crate motors pretty reasonably from the US.
I'd stick a well-built 302 in a new-build Hawk. Not much point in going for the 289 unless you're planning to use a correct 5-bolt block, in which case budget for significantly more expense. For example, if you have the correct engine, why not have the correct gearbox? Budget another 15k for that. There's no point - you can build a great car 'in the spirit of' the original, and the 302 is plenty close enough, easier to source and cheaper. And just to be clear - you won't get a 'new' crate motor, the block will be an old one rebuilt - which is what you want anyway for IVA.
Hamy-hoo
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Hamy-hoo »

Thanks for the clarification. I'm not fussed between the 289 and 302 so if the 302 is significantly simpler and less expensive then that's what I'll be using. As you say, it's 'in the spirit of' the original.
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

I didn't mean physically simpler - they're virtually the same block - I meant simpler to source, and simpler to get parts for (although for aftermarket most parts fit both). The early 289 block, which all 'slabside' Cobras used, is a minefield for parts as a lot are very different. The later 6-bolt 289 Mustang engine is pretty much the same as the 302, but getting scarcer so more expensive. The only thing to watch with 302s (apart from condition) is whether it's a roller block or not, and the date codes as you don't want something you'll get emissions tested on. I'd aim for a seventies 302 block then stick the Edelbrock kit on it - heads, intake, cam, carb, it all works well together.
Hamy-hoo
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Hamy-hoo »

Thanks, good advice. How much am I looking at roughly for a 70's 303 block with the Edelbrock kit you mention?
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Hamy-hoo wrote:Thanks, good advice. How much am I looking at roughly for a 70's 303 block with the Edelbrock kit you mention?
There are various places to hunt for blocks - I'm happy building engines all day long, so I'd get a block, crank and rods, block and crank as near std sizes as possible, no block over +0.030" overbore, plus a few of the other bits - timing cover, end plate, that's probably about it... look on ebay, ask on Cobra Club forum etc.
The Edelbrock parts you'll need to price up from your favourite supplier. I'd order the lot from someone like Summit, and either pay to have it shipped or get it sent to a shipper like the ever-helpful Ron (STS imports) who will stick it one of his containers and then you need to collect or ship from Essex - obviously this takes a good bit longer.