Phil Riley

BRA 289 on eBay

Post by Phil Riley »

peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: BRA 289 on eBay

Post by peterc »

Sounds like a reasonable price depending upon its condition when seen.
I do have an issue with them saying the manufacturer is AC. This is clearly wrong labelling and could mis lead a potential buyer who is not well informed.
They have mentioned BRA elsewhere so why the problem in adding that to the manufacturer detail.
If I have time I’ll pop over for a quick look.
Peter C
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

If it says manufacturer as AC and Cobra on the V5 log book, then there's possibly a whole load of problems for any future purchaser come May this year. DVLA are already clamping down heavily on incorrectly registered cars. Allegedly, there were going to be a large amount of redundancies at DVLA Swansea, but those people have now been retained and form a number of "task groups" whose purpose is to deal with matters regarding incorrectly registered vehicles. This falls in line with the consulation regarding VHi's and modified vehicles. If a Historic vehicle is sold now, the new owner, when transferring the vehicle into their name, are being asked by the DVLA to provide photographs of the vehicle to verify its identity. These phtos include, side, front and rear, headlining, boot floor with carpet removed, interior, dashboard, fuel filler open, and the VIN plate showing the rivets holding it in place. They may seem random requests for photos, but it's so that you can't just use Google images to supply the images requested.

The days of being able to just buy a V5 as a donor vehicle are now gone. For arguements sake, if you buy an MGB as a Hawk donor and it's in historic class or should be registered as historic, it is likely that you will be asked to take photos of that vehicle when applying for it to be transferred into your name. IF, it's not roadworthy, then you lose that registration for the purposes of it being a donor vehicle. ie they will not issue a V5 for an unroadworthy historic vehicle anymore.

Nige
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Nige,
Your last sentence indicates that the rebuilding of any old car into another variety due to it being damaged or rusty will no longer be allowed. Isn’t that the whole ethos of the kit car industry to re use vehicles that would otherwise be scrapped or are you saying it only applies to those wanting the historic status.
Peter C
DavidP
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by DavidP »

V5 shows it as an MG

"Registered as a 1967 car, it is worth noting that JFA 332F could easily be registered in Europe as an MGB GT V8 was used as the donor. Constructed in the early 1980's, this BRA Cobra has a correct and frankly fabulous appearance. The car is offered in metallic slate grey wi....."
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

peterc wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:55 pm Nige,
Your last sentence indicates that the rebuilding of any old car into another variety due to it being damaged or rusty will no longer be allowed. Isn’t that the whole ethos of the kit car industry to re use vehicles that would otherwise be scrapped or are you saying it only applies to those wanting the historic status.
Peter C
Hi Peter, as things currently stand, if you own a vehicle that is already classed as historic, and it's registered in your name, then it could be used as a donor vehicle. However, if you now buy a vehicle to use as a donor which is in the historic class, or should be but isn't, there's a distinct possibility that you would be requested to send in photgraphs as mentioned above to verify that the car is roadworthy and legitimate. We must remember that the Government are still aiming to reduce emissions. Old, recyclable cars add to those emissions, so in that respect it's not in the Governments interests to recycle old cars into kit cars.

Over the years there has been a great number of vehicles which have been either cloned, or have had a "donor" V5 applied to it to obtain an older identity and to gain the historic status. The above is a way of closing that loop hole. Previously there have been V5's for sale on the likes of ebay and unscrupulous people have bought the V5 and transferred it onto a much later vehicle to gain tax exemption and now in certain cases to avoid having to MOT a vehicle. Also a large proportion of the hotrods on the roads are totally illegally registered, using old V5's to gain registration. You have a hotrod with a brand new chassis, crate engine and 'box, fibreglass body, new aftermarket suspension, all of which amount to a car on the road that has none of the identity of the "donor" car or parts fitted. Another example is when VOSA turned up at one event held by the LandRover club (offroading event) and as the Landies were leaving the showground, they were stopped and tested by VOSA checking identifications and legalities. A large number were impounded as being illegal.

We need to look beyond just the kit car scene to see why these changes are taking place. The Ford scene is rife with cars illegally registered or have cloned identities, as is the VW scene.

All of the above could change in May when the results from the Governments two consultations are announced

Nige
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

David,
I think we have come across this issue before that back in the '80's the BRA's were re registered as MG BRA. Not sure why they chose to keep the reference to the donor.
In view of current tightening of regulations this may or may not be an issue bearing in mind they didn't have the SVA or IVA in those days.

Nige, thanks, I understand your comments.
Peter C
David Large

Post by David Large »

My car is registered as an MG Mk2 Cobra (this is what it says on the V5) which was dictated by the DVLA when I took it to be inspected in 1997 or thereabouts, some 8 years after we finished building it.

David L
David Large
Bald surfer with a BRA 289, Porsche 968 Coupe and a Radical PR6!
David Large

Post by David Large »

The car that is the subject of this thread looks ok, it is an early BRA as it has a circular section transmission tunnel making it a BRA mk 1 (like mine) as opposed to the BRA mk 2 which has a rectangular section transmission tunnel with the engine located a bit further back in the chassis. The ride height at the back of the car is poor and it has the bonnet hinged at the back in front of the windscreen which was a characteristic of the early BRA 289s. I guess the kit was sold to the builder in the mid 1980s as my car was. We had the optional front mounted hinge set that was developed by Gerry when he was part of the BRA management team. Our kit was bought from the factory in 1985.

I think the stated price for this car is a bit optimistic with a cooking 3500cc engine. There is not a lot of detail in the advert.

David L
David Large
Bald surfer with a BRA 289, Porsche 968 Coupe and a Radical PR6!
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

That car will probably end up going abroad.