Another 427

General Cobra & Ace topics
Marsh

Re: Another 427

Post by Marsh »

Paul Blore wrote:Impressive knowledge Lee, but you really need to get out more. :wink: :lol:

BTW, I'm glad my Jaguar is on a Coventry plate. I wouldn't want to make that faux pas. :wink:

Paul
You're absolutely right Paul - I DO need to get out more; in fact, I'd have most definitely been out today had my car actually been here - what a perfect day to be outdoors in a Cobra. I might even have taken pleasure in adding some flies to the nose, though it's unlikely I'd have left them there for very long...

Now that number the plates have changed in style, it would be entirely forgiven Paul had you not had a Coventry plate; though back in the day, you'd absolutely have needed a VC, an RW, an HP, a DU, a KV or a WK in your letter sequence to pass muster!

Roger - my geographic letter obsession only extends within these isles, thankfully!

L
427 'side oiler' in 1965 Street trim
Dale Bowman

Post by Dale Bowman »

Guess whose engine (well block) this is

There are 3 types of people in this world
Those who can count and those who cant

DB427SC #006, 427 SO, Toploader
1965 Daytona Coupe ~ Sold
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

I have a picture of my engine on that same stand in the same corner. :lol:

Looking good Dale. Is Lyle doing the building now that Bill is no longer around?

I hope he's going to put those missing studs in. :wink:

Paul
Dale Bowman

Post by Dale Bowman »

As far as I'm aware it Lyle, that's the only name Sue ever mentions.

I asked for missing studs to keep the weight down

Marsh

Post by Marsh »

DaleB wrote:Guess whose engine (well block) this is

Is it mine Dale?
Dale Bowman

Post by Dale Bowman »

Don't think so yours is blue isn't it

Marsh

Post by Marsh »

As the Beach Boys sang in 1966, God only knows, Dale!

:D
Dale Bowman

Post by Dale Bowman »

More news ... just had a call off Sue (via Dave) .... engine will be ready for shipping next week

Marsh

Post by Marsh »

That's great news; once yours is out of the way, they can get on with mine :wink:

Dave suggests mine will be landed in the UK in four to six weeks...

In an earlier post, I mentioned that Guy Salmon in Thames Ditton were an official AC dealer in the 60's and against all the odds, I have managed to source (via a very kind former T289er), an original enamelled dealer plate for the dashboard.

It's very patinated, so I am investigating getting it appropriately restored by the original makers, who are still doing business in the jewellery quarter in Birmingham.

Thank you sincerely Robin - that was a very thoughtful gesture and I look forward to showing you the restored version once it takes pride of place on the completed car...

Lee
Marsh

Post by Marsh »

Dear all,

I thought I'd share another update with you on the progress on my car.

With Dale's engine around a month or so ahead of mine, we estimate that my engine and box will be landed in the UK and in the car in the next four to six weeks. The car itself is at an advanced stage of build, with all running gear fitted and sitting correctly for a 'street car on narrow wheels and tyres, which look fantastic, although quite how it'll put all that power down through those skinny 7.5's remains to be seen...

As I'm going with underslung exhausts rather than the more traditionally seen side pipes, Dave has been very busy under my car to properly understand just how we are going to fit them. They need to exit the car as per the original street models, which as necessitated some modifications to the chassis and indeed the fuel tank, which has caused no end of head scratching and not a little bad language.

While we wait for the oily bits, Dave is completing the interior, with carpets in, dash being trimmed as we speak and then instruments and switchgear can follow soon after. He's managed to source a lovely correct NOS Trico screen wash switch that was unique to the 427, which is giving me more pleasure than it really should. In addition, I sourced a rare as hen's teeth matching square Trico washer bottle, which will finish off the engine bay and Dave is currently trimming this down to original 427 dimensions in order to fit the right hand footbox as per original. I've also managed to find an correct original 'Cobra' horn push, as fitted to 427's in period along with the ash tray, that Roger tells me I paid too much for!

As a number plate obsessive, I've also managed to source the original and period correct Ace 'Silver Plateau' cast aluminium 3 1/8 digits, which were an absolute nightmare to find and Tippers have made the plates up for me. They're genuinely lovely and are currently sitting in my study, keeping me cheerful about the project. I had considered leaving them outside to gain some patina as the car comes together, but came to the conclusion that this was taking it slightly too far!

After much soul searching, I've taken the decision that we need to reverse engineer the current SC flip top fuel filler, so an aluminium repair section is being fabricated in Poland to be fitted to the car in advance of paint as the street fuel filler is annoyingly located more rearwards than the SC filler. It's an unnecessary complication for Dave, but it needs to be right. Via a friend in the Midlands, I've bought a NOS Ceeandess fuel filler which came from a house clearance in Wolverhampton from an old chap who worked at Ceeandess in period. It must have fallen into his pocket accidentally, along with all the other stuff he'd 'accidentally' accumulated!

On the subject of paint; after much agonising, I've finally settled on Monza Red, which is a dark shade very similar to the 60's Triumph shade Damson. It's an unusual colour for a 427, but is both very period and rather understated. Yes, it's a gamble, but I have a feeling that it will work beautifully (everything crossed) and Richard Hodson, my man Friday is on standby with the paint gun.

Timescales for completion? Well, that's the $164,000 question.

If I have the car completed and in paint by mid August, I'd be very pleased indeed, but my gut feel is that it will actually be tight to get it fully ready for the Revival, which really is my objective. No pressure there Mr Brookes!

L