Well, that didn't fit

General Cobra & Ace topics
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Well, that didn't fit

Post by peterc »

Looks like a very nice state to be in to finish the year. Engine bay all tidied up and really looking the business. Still not sure how you got in to do some of the work with the engine still in place. Well done.
Peter C
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

It's been a while since I posted any updates on the car, as I've been using it instead of cutting it up like I usually do. However, with the aluminium dash almost completed, it's come time to rectify some thing that has really irritated me since day one. The rear valance on the car is totally the wrong shape, as it not only curves upwards in the middle, but also curves inwards towards the boot. Although I really don't like the over riders and bars on the rear, I've kept them on there to hide the visual discrepancies of the rear end. Having come home from Silverstone, I'm now feeling the need to rectify this.

I've laid up some fibreglass on the rear valance of Owains FIA and this will become the new rear valance to fit on the car, giving a better shape. It's going to need cutting and shutting a little, but having offered it up to the car, it's not a million miles away from fitting. here's a few photos to be going on with

This shows the upwwards curve of the rear valance

This photo clearly shows the inwards curve

The new valance being laid up on the FIA

If I get time over the next few weeks, I might also sort out the rear tail lights as the plinths that they sit on irritate me and I'd like to fit the new Spyda L452 tail lights to it.

Nige
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

Whilst working on the rear, I also felt that a few other changes wouldn't be out of place. I started by putting a black 1/4" pinstripe down the outside of the white stripes and I feel that it looks better like this.

However, whilst at Silverstone I got talking with Ollie Bryant with GPG4C, and looking closely at the car, I thought that it might be a good idea to alter the stripes on mine to match those on GPG. I've quickly run some lining tape around the nose of my car to see what it looks like. I'll leave it on there for a while to see if I like it, rather than make a spontaneous decision, and if after a week or so I'm still liking it, then I'll paint the nose section in white and stripe it.

here's a very crudely done image

To look something like this

Nige
Last edited by agnoraan on Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:08 pm, edited 4 times in total.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Yes, it looks a possibility and makes it different to the normal stripes but there’s only 12 days to Cranleigh!
Peter C
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

It's ok Peter, I'm going to be fitting this in around the Cranleigh show ;-)

Nige
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

Well, after careful consideration I've painted the stripes on the car to follow the nose section :-).

On with the rear valance next....
Nige
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Out of interest what is the legal requirements on visible/ useable headlights. I assume that given any bad weather during the day you can remove the black covers.
I know Migge has them on his car so if it’s OK in Germany then one would assume it’s OK here as well but would Mr Plod take a dim view?
Peter C
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

Easily removable, Peter
Nige
Migge

Post by Migge »

Just for the event Peter. Of course you can't use them on the road. I just forget them sometimes to remove.
Special customized BRA289
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

So you need to practise the words ‘Sorry Officer’
Peter C