Well, that didn't fit

General Cobra & Ace topics
Dave Woodward
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Well, that didn't fit

Post by Dave Woodward »

That's crazy Nige! You have to build that bonnet. You are doing an outstanding job and everybody is fascinated and inspired by your work. I for one want to see how you recreate that particular bonnet!!!!

Post by Roger King »

I think I'd be tempted to fab up a new bonnet with tubular frame and aluminium skin, roll louvres in it and add a scoop if needed. Although with that much air getting in and out, why bother with a bonnet at all? Go commando...
Dave Woodward
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Dave Woodward »

Are you still talking about the car Roger :shock:
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Dave Woodward »

It does sound, from Nige's narrative, as though going down an all aluminium route is more straightforward!

Post by Roger King »

What, aluminium underpants?

Confused of Cambridge
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

Aluminium under pants, now thats a scary thought. I take it the wine's kicked in Rog? :wink:

Really, this type of bonnet should be made from aluminium, but it could look equally as good in fibreglass if done properly. I guess there's a time element involved too, as I think it would probably take longer to make it in ali than to fit louvers to a ready made 'glass bonnet. I've just figured out a much quicker way of doing this than the one I suggested above, plus it would give the opportunity to make and sell replica louvered bonnet panels if someone wanted to do the same.

I really need to sit down and see where I'm going with all of this, as the transformation of the Viper was supposed to be a rolling resto/transformation and a stop gap car, until I finished the scratch build. It's just knowing how far to take this really. I've enjoyed doing this immensely and I've grown quite fond of the car itself, but at what point do I stop developing it? I want to make an ali dash next, as the dash in the car isn't nice, followed by altering the rear arches a la 39PH, plus changing out the rear lights.

The bonnet idea is something I've toyed with for a while as I think it would suit the car, and I've also contemplated making a pair of aluminium doors. Then I got to thinking I should change the rear valance and sills to give them a bit more curvature, but thats not a priority just yet. Plus there's the quad Dellortos to go on and detail the engine bay. Thats the vision that I have in my head of how it all should be. Whatever I do to this car, it'll never be any where near accurate in comparison to a real one, or even a Hawk for that matter, as an awful lot of compromises have been made due to the heritage of the car itself. But, how far do I really go with this car, should it go to conclusion as I envisage it, or cut it short and say "that'll do". That's the question I keep asking myself.

I've also been offered the possibility of some business premises not far from me, so again that's something I need to seriously consider. Should I get back into doing this sort of thing again on a professional level? Oh, and I've also got to finish the house renovation, so I've a lot of decisions to make pretty soon.

If anyone knows for a bonnet though.......;-)

Aaaargh!! Decisions decisions

Cheers ...Nige
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

A little off piste here but I used to love watching American Hotrod and seeing Marcel DeLay from Marcels custom metal fabricate up that Aluma tub car proved to me that this type of fabrication is about skill and years of experience and having a feel for the material. Most of the enjoyment for me is in the fettling and I think the same applies Nige, so don't pass up the opportunity to do stuff like this yourself as you've certainly got the skill and you seem to get a lot of enjoyment out of it!

Post by Maxakarudy »

If anyone knows for a bonnet though.......;-)

Ebay...161990186267

Martin
Migge

Post by Migge »

If that is "good condition" I don't want to see the bad version.
Special customized BRA289
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

Migge wrote:If that is "good condition" I don't want to see the bad version.
Nothing wrong with that Migge, it's a fine example :lol:

Thanks for the link Martin, I never thought of looking on the 'bay.
Cheers... Nige